Dang it all, Aluminum Will Burn...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i looked up more info on aluminum cans.

some say they only work with metal chimney liners and not clay tiles. something about the chemical reaction between the two metals makes creosote flake off the metal pipes, but, if you have an elbow, you have to clean the flakes out.

Thanks MGA

i looked up more info on aluminum cans.

some say they only work with metal chimney liners and not clay tiles. something about the chemical reaction between the two metals makes creosote flake off the metal pipes, but, if you have an elbow, you have to clean the flakes out.
Well, that's good to know. I'm totally clay tile from the stove to the top of the chimney.

I've got a good friend running straight up stove pipe from both stoves. He may want to give it a try, considering he generates 100 empty aluminum cans a day at his bar and restaurant.

i'm waiting for some one to throw magnesium in their fire next.

report back and let us know how fast the house burnt down.

but, i've done the aluminum thing...they do end up being little grey ashes.

we used to burn old broke vw crank cases, made of mag, throw one on the ground throw a bunch of wood over it light with torch, and wala, instant bohn fire. great for getting those party fires going. but try not to breath the smoke i think its bad for you.

I think maybe its not the ali can cleaning your chimney or glass its just the fact that you have the heat right up trying to burn the can that does it, and we all know that a quick hot fire cleans pipes and glass anyway.

I was told by a fireman that throwing a can in the fire weekly would solve creosote build up problems. I don't have that problem, so I can't comment.
I SAY USE THE OVEN CLEANER CAN.. :hmm3grin2orange:..I DONT HAVE THIS ISSUE I USE A LITTLE GASOLINE...LOL :hmm3grin2orange: I HAVE SEEN AN OLD MAN ONCE USE CHUNKS OF TIRES TO GET HIS CHIMNEY CLEANED OUT. HE WAS USING A POTBELLY STOVE WITH FLU PIPES AND I WILL SAY I THOUGH IT WAS DONE FOR. BUT IT CLEANED IT OUT... WHAT TEMP DOES CREOSOTE BURN TO? AND WHAT TEMP DOES YOUR CHIMNEY LINER FAIL?

I SAY USE THE OVEN CLEANER CAN.. :hmm3grin2orange:..I DONT HAVE THIS ISSUE I USE A LITTLE GASOLINE...LOL :hmm3grin2orange: I HAVE SEEN AN OLD MAN ONCE USE CHUNKS OF TIRES TO GET HIS CHIMNEY CLEANED OUT. HE WAS USING A POTBELLY STOVE WITH FLU PIPES AND I WILL SAY I THOUGH IT WAS DONE FOR. BUT IT CLEANED IT OUT... WHAT TEMP DOES CREOSOTE BURN TO? AND WHAT TEMP DOES YOUR CHIMNEY LINER FAIL?
I've heard that chimney fires can easily reach 2100 F. They burn hotter with better draft conditions, just like the stove. That's hot enough to turn steel cherry red. The heat can get so intense that wood studs in walls a foot away from clay tile can easily char. The roar can be deafening. Flames can shoot out the top of the stack four to six feet.

Yep, it burns out the creosote and it can also burn up the whole house.

Back