Dangerous tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should tell the idiots running the chipper to get some PPE before OSHA comes and rapes you! Nice work otherwise.:cheers:

I saw the idiots running the chipper and wondered if they were taped while they were taking a little break or something... How do you keep a job working like that? :dizzy:

real nice vid thanks i like the tip full of tremites, as far as osha comming i wouldn't worry all that much 30 years in construction showed me many dangerous scaffolds supported by rocks and sticks 60 ft high have gone that way for months . Now mind me i only cut firewood for myself and friends and it my be diffrent in your field but in the building trade they don't care .

Another common misconception is that a tree swaying in the wind is dangerous. In fact, trees moving gently with the breeze are not necessarily unstable at all – they're simply trying to absorb the wind’s energy with subtle movement. If the branches didn’t sway, they would snap.

Rather than watching the swaying branches, look closely at the ground around the tree trunk for a clearer indication of any problems. If, on a windy day, you can spot signs of ground movement (‘heave’) or cracking, there may be genuine cause for concern. Look for raised soil opposite to the tree's natural lean, which could indicate uprooting.

Similarly, if a tree is precariously overhanging a road or building, don’t hesitate in seeking the advice of a professional tree surgeon or arboriculturist. Most commonly the tree will not have to be removed in its entirety – just the limbs causing the potential danger.

your climber cut a bypass dutchman on both face cuts of the top and the next cut shown.. made no difference in the outcome, but shows he needs some training.. making the top cut first is a good way to avoid this, especially when working on spikes, where the far side of the face is hard to see..

Love that logger lingo

Daniel, In our discussion before topping the tree I empasized that the climber not cut a notch that would put excessive pressure on the trunk. Any suggestions you have for effectively accomplishing this our welcome.

Back