Davey Tree Co.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyMan_812

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this company? I am looking at a position with them and am wondering if they are a good company to work for.

It is employed owned. They are headquartered right near me and have a good reputation for quality work and are respected in the community. Also, they do things a little "different" in some aspects, such as crane removals.

Well, I wont be doing any climbing or ground work. I went back to school for GIS and will be mapping out the right-of-ways for future trims and stuff like that. Gravy job hopefully. The job description said ".......ability to operate atv and 4x4 truck, hike rugged terrain and knowledge of GPS systems required". I have never been on the "utility" side of tree work so I am kind of in the dark. Sounds like a good deal but we will have to see I guess

Last edited:
Like all large companies, it's the local manager that makes the difference.

Other than that, large bureaucratic organizations are all the same.

Very true, they are a good company, been around the longest i think. Good training and good equipment.
But BCWC is right, the GF in your area is what makes the environment good or bad. We have the Big O doing ROW here now. Iowa side, guys hate the GF, Illinois side, guys love their GF. If you asked them what they thought about Asplundh, you would get 2 very different answers about the same company, and both would be true. All depends on the local leadership. This applies to all the big shows.

I work for them. Like some of the other posts, the manager makes the difference. Sounds like you are applying for Davey Resource Group. That is a unique division of the company with a tremendous opportunity for your future. Davey remains strong financially and offers some pretty awesome benefits as an employee owner. PM me if you want to talk further.

Well, I wont be doing any climbing or ground work. I went back to school for GIS and will be mapping out the right-of-ways for future trims and stuff like that. Gravy job hopefully. The job description said ".......ability to operate atv and 4x4 truck, hike rugged terrain and knowledge of GPS systems required". I have never been on the "utility" side of tree work so I am kind of in the dark. Sounds like a good deal but we will have to see I guess

You need people skills for that job.Walking around on someones property uninvited and telling them that you will be blowing out the side of their tree for the power line is always a good way to break the ice. :chatter:

Well I did run my own business for three years. I aquired a few people skills during that time. And thats why you have to take a bunch of general education courses in school like public speaking classes etc. That is a good point though. Nothing like telling someone your going to take the left side of their beautiful oak tree that they planted in memory of their grandfather who died thirty years ago.

Ha, GIS.....you will not be utilizing GIS skills as a utility forester!!! you are basically a permit person.....the job you are talking about is for DRG, right?

I just got my GIS certification (basically GIS technician)...you will do better to learn all you can & then sell your services at that, currently I have a few large companies looking at my service for 2 reasons: 1-mapping out their corridors & 2-providing maintenance.

Ill see how it goes, I am using Arcview 9.3 & getting ready to upgrade to 10, also we are implementing a CAD to Arcview service for utilities whom have previously mapped their systems with this prehistoric software!

Funny you mentioned GIS......I play with that software all the time & am staring at my 4th edition work book right now!

LXT...............

I worked for them, benefits are decent but when you work in utilities there is no guarantee that you'll have a job the next day, our manager came to us at 2:30 pm on a Tuesday and told us all "well boys we're done here, you all can go apply for unemployment because we didn't win any bids, we'll call you back when we get the work"....that was four years ago and they haven't been back yet...

These days, isn't any job a good job?

MonkeyMan, get as much time as you can doing GIS work. It applies to a lot more than trees and ROW issues. The more you know, the more marketable you are.

Latest posts

Back