david braldey 917 first start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keatons

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i was determined tonight to start this so i look off the exhaust and put a borescope in there to check the cylinder wall and it was pretty good but still low compression, i sprayed some penatrating oil down in the cylinder and let that sit for 30-45 minutes and i put the plug back in and put it back tougher and it popped first pull then ran for about 5 seconds, then i took it outside and ran it for a minute or two then i had to go inside. but it runs now, really excited about that, now i need a chain, how do i measure the the pitch of the chain, and anyone know were i could possibly get a bow bar for it i either get a bow bar or a 36 inch bar to put on it. thanks, Keaton

Kinda vague just calling it a 917. Should have some more numbers after that. They came in direct drive and gear drive. The one I have is gear drive and currently 1/2" pitch. I'd have to count drivers, has a 24" bar on it. Its rear as hens teeth to get the 1/2 pitch chains. It could be converted to .404 pitch with the right sprocket. That would be much easier to get ahold of.

Kinda vague just calling it a 917. Should have some more numbers after that. They came in direct drive and gear drive. The one I have is gear drive and currently 1/2" pitch. I'd have to count drivers, has a 24" bar on it. Its rear as hens teeth to get the 1/2 pitch chains. It could be converted to .404 pitch with the right sprocket. That would be much easier to get ahold of.
i know 917 is vauge it is a 917.60005 1956 chainsaw with a power products ah81 engine, it is gear drive and i have a bar that i think is 24 inches and an old chain, it meatured about 27.5 inches from the front to the back.

For chain pitch, measure the distance between three rivets and divide by 2.

1702647139012.png

Also check the gauge (thickness) of the actual driver portion of the drive links, most common on the older saws was .058 and .063" but you may also find .050, .070, and even .080"

1702647250218.png

Recognize that a chain with a lot of wear may not measure exactly the same as a new one...

Mark

For chain pitch, measure the distance between three rivets and divide by 2.

View attachment 1135824

Also check the gauge (thickness) of the actual driver portion of the drive links, most common on the older saws was .058 and .063" but you may also find .050, .070, and even .080"

View attachment 1135825

Recognize that a chain with a lot of wear may not measure exactly the same as a new one...

Mark
ok, i will do that, thank you for the info, I am not home right now but when i get home i will do that

Back