Days are numbered for an old friend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The place I live on has been in our family for over 100 years now. There is a pretty big ash tree that's on the back side of the place that is pretty big for this area. In my lifetime it has been struck by lightning 4 times. The last one 2 years ago put a hurtin' on it as it blew BIG shards well over 100 yards from the base. One of the main shoots didn't leaf this year and it looks like it won't be long. I won't cut till it's all dead but may have to limb some of the dead to make sure it doesn't hit my furnace house. Measures 154 inches 5 ft up so that's just over 4 foot in diameter. With the ash bore coming the hillside is going to have a lot of firewood as it's mainly ash and locust. At least it is close I guess if there is a brightside to it.

I know this may not be big to some but ash trees this size around here are pretty uncommon. I was hoping it would come out of it but it's not looking good.

205815d1320514440-mvc-012s-jpg

This is me next to it. I'm 6'6" 220 to give some scale to it.

205816d1320514443-mvc-013s-jpg

Here you can see the dead shoot

205817d1320514445-mvc-014s-jpg

Finished moving the wood to fill the boiler shed today. It's 20'X20' with about 10 cord in there.

Last edited:
Phew,, I thought you were talking about an old dog.. it is sad to see a tree that old die, they've been around for generation But better to cut it while it can still serve a purpose then become a danger/hazard..

What are you waiting for

In a word, space.

Still have over 150 cord under roof after we pulled out 15 for me and Dad's usage. Have good wood on the ground that will fill that back up easily so I'm keeping this one in "storage" if you will. Like I said, I'll limb out the dead but leave the rest go for a while.

I get very attached to certain trees too. We've only lived at this place for 10 years, but there were a couple of large oaks I really liked. One white oak blew over last fall, and the other red oak just last weekend. A lot of assorted other trees I liked as well have fallen too. The ash I put a swing in for the kids when we first moved in is just about gone, though it's nowhere near as big as the one you have. Around here it's supposedly a fungus that is killing them.

Cut it down already you big goon! :D J/K! I had and old cherry in my Mom's yard, not to the magnitude as that ash but still could'nt get thru it with a 36" bar without another zing. Lot's of memories there :) Take the dead wood off for now is the sensible thing with your situation I'd say!

It will be a shame to see that tree go... Living not too far from Gettysburg, it was sad to hear the last of the "witness" trees were cut down. They were trees that were around during the civil war. For the most part though, the only trees that have a sentimental value to me are the ones I've planted. Its fun to see my kids growing with the trees we've planted..

In a word, space.

Still have over 150 cord under roof after we pulled out 15 for me and Dad's usage. Have good wood on the ground that will fill that back up easily so I'm keeping this one in "storage" if you will. Like I said, I'll limb out the dead but leave the rest go for a while.

the hell with that tree. I want to see pics of the 150 cords

When I bought my place, there were 5 sycamores about 130 feet tall in a line. Two have been lost to lightning, etc. I also had a large ash and built a house under it. Roof denter. So things go on. At least it wasn't cut down by a person.

Sad to see something like that go after all those years. It will rot if it's not taken down and no one wins.

Latest posts

Back