dealer misfortune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdtreewalker

arboristsite window licker
Reaction score
Late Sunday night/Monday morning our local dolmar/jonsered dealer's shop caught fire and burnt to the ground. It was a total loss. Good news is as far as I know no one was hurt.

He also sold small engines and did repair on anything that had an engine. He had at least 20 customer saws to be repaired, several customers lawnmowers, and a few log splitters new and customer.

He's old enough and been at it long enough there's talk of him retiring after he gets everything straightened out. We used him for parts quite often. I had a bar I hadn't picked up yet luckily I hadn't paid for it.

Terrible to hear of this happening! Could be a good time for us all to go through our homes/garages and make them safer. It's amazing what fire hazards most garages are! Store your flammables (paint, fuel, oil, thinners, gas etc) in a place outside of your home, preferably something metal. Don't store combustibles indoors or against your house if you can help it - old boxes, paper, wood etc all fall into this category. x 2 if you live in a dry/hot/bushfire prone area. Reduce the amount of fuels in and around your home. Clean your gutters out of dead leaves, cut back trees and grasses from your home. Be sure and keep combustibles away from heat sources too, obvious as it is to say it. Boilers, fireplaces, open flame cooking etc. Don't go overloading your electricals. Make sure if you have a house that it does reach all areas of your house just in case you need it, and keep it coiled/hung neatly. Have a fire blanket somewhere handy in your house, and one in the garage too. Have the right kind of extinguisher if you do saw work also, and smoke alarms in your house.

Sounds like a bunch of work, but it's something you can probably get done in half an hour for an average home. Could save your life!

Small fires generally spread slow without the presence of combustibles and accellerants. With smoke alarms and a blanket or extinguisher, you've got a fair chance in an emergency should something happen.

Shaun

Aww man that sucks. Yes, stuff is stuff and no people got hurt...but you know that's still got to be heart wrenching for the guy to see all that work go up in smoke.
As bad as it gets, not the way to have his retirement started!

....and then there is all the Jonsered(s) parts and other stuff that may have been lost - I feel the pain even over here, for that as well....

Last edited:
I thought about the same - "is that really how you feel"?

c'mon guys Moody clearly understands the fewer moving pieces involved in chaos the quicker and simpler the recovery, if the shop had 40 parts already paid for by customers, that's 40 more problems to be solved in an already trying time for the shop owner
peace and love
Dave

c'mon guys Moody clearly understands the fewer moving pieces involved in chaos the quicker and simpler the recovery, if the shop had 40 parts already paid for by customers, that's 40 more problems to be solved in an already trying time for the shop owner
peace and love
Dave

You don't really mean that, do you? :givebeer:

Well, I hope so. If it was me, I'd be giving him the cash the very next day, with a look in the eye while saying "I'm in no hurry for that bar. I'll be needing some other parts too."

As the owner of a rental/retail/repair shop I felt a stab at the heart reading this. I can't even think how it would feel to see the place I am working to build 12 hours a day 6 or 6 days a week just gone. Great post above on minimizing gas, etc. in your shop...but I don't have much chance of that since I have all my rentals and repair machines in here, plus carb cleaners, etc...we just do the best we can to keep them away from ignition sources and fingers crossed! I sure hope the fella has minimal insurance company hassles- they can either ease or increase his pain depending how they respond to this. Best of luck to him.

peace and love
Dave

Granted I'm not rich but even had I paid for the bar I wouldn't be bugging the man about it. He's got Gravely zero turns, Oregon splitters, Jonsered lineup of saws ranging from the 2240-2188, and Dolmar saws and trimmers and countless parts and odds and ends to replace. I said luckily I hadnt paid for it because he's got plenty to worry about replacing aside from a bar.

Well, I hope so. If it was me, I'd be giving him the cash the very next day, with a look in the eye while saying "I'm in no hurry for that bar. I'll be needing some other parts too."

We went by yesterday and he wasn't around.

I hate to here of the fire. If it is the shop that is west of Jamesport, south of 6 hwy, then I have been there.

I would buy Dolmar parts from him, very nice guy. He had a good inventory of parts as well as new saws. I had been trying to buy a NOS Dolmar 9010 for about a year, could not agree on a price.

Sounds like I need to make a road trip see.

I wish him well.

Wow, that really sucks for the guy!

Of course, if he decides to not rebuild and open back up, there's a business opportunity there for someone else in that area.

Back