death of mich man update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard on the radio this A.M. that the gentleman who died left 500,000 to the local hospital. According to his nephew this was money that he had in his savings account.

I'm in no way defending the utility company, but it sounds like this guy's family should have been more involved in his life. Our elderly cared for us when we were young. The least we can do is ensure that they are cared for when they get older!!!

I heard on the radio this A.M. that the gentleman who died left 500,000 to the local hospital. According to his nephew this was money that he had in his savings account.

I'm in no way defending the utility company, but it sounds like this guy's family should have been more involved in his life. Our elderly cared for us when we were young. The least we can do is ensure that they are cared for when they get older!!!

well said.:agree2:

While you are correct.....this man had no immediate family. Wife was deceased, no children. He did have a nephew nearby. I must imagine that things were difficult for him on a daily basis without the power company BS.

Ed

That's too bad. I feel for those individuals in that type of situation. Life without family would probably kill me too. We take care of each other and drive each other nuts at the same time!!!

Always willing to help a neighbor as well.

Wish i it would become a federal law, so no power company could do something like this again.

Then why would I pay my bill?

Connecticut prohibits gas & electric shutoffs from Nov 1 till May 1 (was April 1 until a couple years ago). Come May you better have a payment arrangement in place or the meters coming off soon as they can get to it.

Connecticut prohibits gas & electric shutoffs from Nov 1 till May 1 (was April 1 until a couple years ago). Come May you better have a payment arrangement in place or the meters coming off soon as they can get to it.

This actually seems to make sense. But as time goes on people will be arguing that the power company shouldn't be able to shut it off in the summer either, what with all the heat and the "necessity" of air conditioning. Let's face it, everyone needs electricity, but not everyone can easily afford it or are incapable of paying the bills. Government is the obvios solution. We should be taxed say $200/month and the gubmint can supply the power ;-)

It seems half the time I turn on the news and watch the weather forecast they are telling me to stay indoors. "Don't go out if you don't have to, there's too much snow." "Don't go out if you don't have to, it's too cold." "Don't go out if you don't have to, it's too hot." "Don't go out if you don't have to, the sun may cause cancer." etc, etc

Not to many people dye from the heat .just sitting in the house or appt
but zero is a different story .You comparing apples to oranges.plus like
said before a knock on the door would have saved a life.

Not to many people dye from the heat .just sitting in the house or appt
but zero is a different story .You comparing apples to oranges.plus like
said before a knock on the door would have saved a life.

people dont die from heat !!! i guess youve have not been in and around the heat out west one good power outage for day or two the elderly start dropin like flys:( look at all the people that died when the east coast power outages a couple years back. i dont know what would be worse frezzin to death or heatsroke we should really keep an eye on our neighbors just in case. thats one thing i like about were we live now compared to vegas we all no one another.

It's called integrity. Some still have it. The man in this case may have had integrity but at his age lacked the ability to manage his household.

Exactly. The artical was vague about what exactly the law entailed, I dont condone able people to not pay their bills, instead I feel that there needs to be laws in place, that state that before limiters are in place, the resident is shown how to use them, etc.

This whole situation is a mess on so many levels. The fact that this guy died the way he did is hard to wrap my head around. And it is, in the truest sense, a shame.

The broader question of what to do with people who are behind on their bills is a tough one. We say that the power company cannot place limiters on meters because people need heat. But what about folks with propane or fuel oil, should the fuel providers be required to maintain a full tank even when the bill isn't paid? At what point do we determine that externally-supplied heat sources are a "right" instead of a luxury? What about those places where there is no other option but to use externally-supplied heat sources? Tough questions.

Obviously this fellow had the means to pay his heating bill, yet for whatever reason he chose not to. I see this sort of stuff fairly regularly in my work (poverty law/legal aid, services delivered on an income-eligible basis) where people who have the means to do X choose not to do X, and then a huge problem comes up as a result. We can argue up and down whether their choice was right or wrong, but at the end of the day it is their choice unless and until a court determines them to be incompetent and appoints a guardian or conservator. Was this fellow in need of a guardian? It sure looks like it, given how things played out here. But if nobody petitions the court to have one appointed...

Which brings us to the other issue: what to do with isolated elderly folks...that is a very tough question, because there is no one-size-fits-all answer, because the elderly are not per se incompetent. I spent my youth and young adult years doing odd jobs for old folks, taking them to their doctors, to the store, and stuff like that. It was tremendously satisfying and it could be fit in around my school schedule. All of my work was by referral, and it was this way because I quickly learned that there are TONS of old folks who are isolated. They may live in your neighborhood, and you may even chat with them in their yard once in a while, but at the end of the day they are alone. Even prior to the onset of mental deterioration, loneliness and apathy can set in and lead to terrible outcomes. Even in affluent communities, the social isolation of an 80-something who lives in a $1m house, alone all week except for a trip to Church on Sunday, can lead to poor outcomes.

I don't know what the solution to this stuff is, but I think that this scenario just heightens the need to be a good neighbor and to try that much harder to look out for one another. And sometimes, as good people, we have to step in and do what needs to be done even when the person we are trying to help doesn't want help. A few years back I lost my grandfather under a terrible set of circumstances, largely because I deferred to his judgment even when I knew that what he was doing was not a good choice. I know that it is tough to balance respect for the wishes of others with a need to look out for someone, but if I had it to do over again I would certainly have done things differently. While there are surely gray areas, there are also objective thresholds of "good" and "bad" choices, and when the bad choices threshold is crossed I think we have a duty as good people to step up and do something.

Sad story.

If he was sane enough to keep $500K+ in the bank, I think he was sane enough to keep his bills paid.

I still have my doubts whether this was some type of suicide.

We'll probably never know, but I don't feel the utility company should be held liable in any way.

I think Brandon hit it on the head...we have to do our best to be good neighbors and citizens and do our best to help each other out. There has to be a better answer than Gov't intervention.

Latest posts

Back