Decomp! Yes or no??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boskaerm

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I recently bought a Husky 181 se.
Now I have purchased a 288xp p/c for it!
The new p/c has a decomp hole, the old, and the top cover, has not!
Should I plug the hole? Or mount a Decomp valve, and modify the topcover?

BTW is it normal with only one ring in the 288 p/c?

i have two 288's. one has a decomp, the other doesn't. the one without the decomp isn't a bear to start. i guess it wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary.

Could you do me a favour? And measure where the hole for the decomp is placed, in the top cover? Not an emergency case though :smile2:

A decomp makes things easier on your starting assembly, if nothing else. I also notice it makes it easier and safer to start a saw when it's on a log.

I recently bought a Husky 181 se.
Now I have purchased a 288xp p/c for it!
The new p/c has a decomp hole, the old, and the top cover, has not!
Should I plug the hole? Or mount a Decomp valve, and modify the topcover?

BTW is it normal with only one ring in the 288 p/c?

i have a decomp on my 361 but to this day have only used it 1 time and that was to see how much difference there was with and without it

Could you do me a favour? And measure where the hole for the decomp is placed, in the top cover? Not an emergency case though :smile2:

AS (ha, ha!!) requested-

Bottom edge to center of decomp-
attachment.php

Center of left front top cover screw to center of decomp-
attachment.php

Decomp hole-
attachment.php

Bottom edge of top cover to center of decomp-
attachment.php

Inside of top cover> front of saw is to the right-
attachment.php

Last edited:
Don't know the climate in your area, but in Wisconsin when it's 10 degrees outside, and your saws been sitting all night, the decompressor makes things move a little quicker.

In the winter, when we go in to the woods, it´s kind of cold here!
This winter it has been down to minus 10 degrees Celsius, when we where in the woods!
Are you talking Fahreinheit?

i should cover the decomp hole IF you can start the chainsaw by yourself. if your having a hard time starting it, leave it on. those old husky's are compression beasts.

Latest posts

Back