Decorative Cyprus Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david moye

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We are gearing up to sell the timber off a portion of our land this year. In the rear of the property there is an area we call the cyprus pond. It has hundreds of cyprus trees, some 15 inches some 3ft or more across. I cut one, striped it, and used it as a support column in my log home. I have seen the larger ones on TV in these palace style homes they are building out west.

Getting to my question, are these trees valuable in a nich market? The bases of these trees are very cool looking. I gave thought to cutting them up into 4inch slabs and selling them as wall clocks but I hate to cut up a good tree if it were more valuable as a decorative support beam.

Once we replant the property this winter, I will never be able to get to them again.

This is my first post so sorry if I did not follow the correct decorum.

Attachments

• 11040071_10205637412672068_1276448744_n.jpg
    11040071_10205637412672068_1276448744_n.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 37
Welcome to AS, cool support beam.
I don't know if the trees are worth anything there, here they are not, and they are pretty rare around here. One of our neighbors planked some out and made cabinets out of them and they are awesome.

It is used for trailer bunks and siding on the very old farm houses.
Some mills chip it for mulch.
It is a good wood for the small pond/river boats.

Find a small/custom mill to buy a few logs from you.

Leave 30 to 40% of the good trees to reseed and keep the area stable.
You are cutting in wetlands be careful.

Latest posts

Back