Defective trailer tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knobby57

Peeing outdoors
Reaction score
I purchased 4 Carlisle USA trail st225/75d15 tires for my 10,000 lbs peque trailer last summer . Not even 2000 miles later I have had 3 tires catastrophically fail . 2 exploded and one the tread delaminated from the rest . I lost 2 rims because of this . Carlisle was more than willing to and offered to have the tires shipped back for inspection. I'm reluctant to let the tires out of my possession . If I send back the tire they can say whatever they want and I have no proof . How would you guys handle this . It's not really a money thing just a point of integrity . I'm a stickler for checking tire pressures and in 20 something years if driving I've never had another tire just fail. I've had nails curbs and potholes but this is another bag of worms . How would you guys go about this .
1e326fdb8200fb25a0a1b0a0d7e973e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I've experienced anything like this before but I would send them back. Generally speaking, they don't want to screw you over. If they are a standup company they will investigate the premature failure and might wven reimburse you for them. From the companies standpoint they want to know about these things and learn from them. Just my $0.02

I second the standpoint "They want to know about these things, and learn from them." They will thoroughly examine the carcass for potential causes, and may identify an entire lot of tires that need to be replaced. They may also learn that your tire shop sold a set that had aged, or been exposed to too much sun before installation. There are all sorts of things their forensics team should be able to identify by looking at the tires, and you submitting them may actually lead to saving other people similar problems, maybe even a life, or two?

I believe these where made in the USA . I would be all about shipping them back till I did a search on the google and this particular tire in this size and the size under it in the d load range seam to be prone to failure for some time now . I talked to a lady in the claims department . She was reluctant to give me much info and was more concerned that I get the tire back to them as soon as possible . But then told me that a refund or replacement would not be issued until the 15 of any given month . It struck me as odd and I just had a gut feeling they where more concerned about getting the defective tires out of the public than safety and taking care of me. It's hard to explain but that was impression I got from her and her emails afterwards . I used to feel that companies held out safety at a premium bet after several forced recalls and negligence to report issues from large companies I don't feel that way anymore . I think it's more of a bean counters game now . All about the numbers . Also being my tires have a 2 year warranty you would think I should be able to just return to the tire dealer and get new ones . They told me I ran the tires low on pressure or overloaded the tires . Both of those I can promise you did not happen . I'm sure I overloaded the tires but not past what they where rated at . They failed within there specs and load range . The first 2 tires I had to pay to replace because the tire dealer said they would not get reimbursed for a warranty claim .

I second the standpoint "They want to know about these things, and learn from them." They will thoroughly examine the carcass for potential causes, and may identify an entire lot of tires that need to be replaced. They may also learn that your tire shop sold a set that had aged, or been exposed to too much sun before installation. There are all sorts of things their forensics team should be able to identify by looking at the tires, and you submitting them may actually lead to saving other people similar problems, maybe even a life, or two?
The last tire the date code shows it was made 7 of 2013 and the rubber looked in great shape . I check my tires every use and the trailer is stored inside . I think I'm going to send the tires to a competing tire mfg and get a report from them before submitting the tires back to Carlisle. After I get this resolved maybe I'll post the emails I got and you will understand my point . The emails where far from professional

Knobby talk to your states attorney generals office. See what they have to say.

Not sure whats going on but i have been using that tire and size on a 24 ft enclosed and a 16 ft open Trailer for about 8 years now and have had No problems at all. I use the trailers so much i wear the tires slick and have to replace every 2 years. Never had a problem.

Not sure whats going on but i have been using that tire and size on a 24 ft enclosed and a 16 ft open Trailer for about 8 years now and have had No problems at all. I use the trailers so much i wear the tires slick and have to replace every 2 years. Never had a problem.
May I ask if it's the same size and load range d . I've heard from a few the load range e are very reliable

My dump trailer spends most of its time sitting in a warehouse . Bias tires are supposed to last longer when sitting . Last trailer I had with radials sat for a year and the tires where toast

Yes same size and load range D. I went outside and looked to make sure.
Maybe these tires just don't like to for long times . Either way I just don't trust them any longer . I only have one left I've been swapping the original tires back on after the blowouts . The original tires are now 10 years old and I've never had trouble with them ever . I just took them off because they where older and I didn't want to deal with tire issues . That should teach me . I'm going in the am and getting 2 rims so I have a spare again and 5 new tires . Also I scaled the trailer today loaded more than my usual with firewood(very wet oak and maple ) and I was at 8700 pounds on a certified scale so it's not even possible to overload with firewood .. I do plan to deliver a load in the am I'm going to check the tire temp with a infrared thermometer just for my own curiosity

Send the tires back if you want to get a refund. There isn't any other recourse that makes sense.
Don't buy from that dealer anymore and don't buy Carlisle's anymore. Any good tire dealer would have replaced them without any question.
Next time don't buy the cheapest tires around.

Send the tires back if you want to get a refund. There isn't any other recourse that makes sense.
Don't buy from that dealer anymore and don't buy Carlisle's anymore. Any good tire dealer would have replaced them without any question.
Next time don't buy the cheapest tires around.
They where fare from the cheapest tire . I could have gotten tires for 65$ each these where 110 .

Strongly consider replacing with load range E trailer tires. The six lug rim in your picture is usually synonymous with a 5200lb axle load range E tire. PSI usually jumps from 65PSI with a D to 80PSI with an E. I find the laod range E lasts a lot longer, especially with the dynamic loads of a dump trailer.

You say your old tires were load range D, and they had no problems. Get your money back.

I would bet you were driving faster than the tires were rated for.

Latest posts

Back