deja vu... help with a Stihl 029/039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd be surprised what's made in China. What amazes me is the people that say they won't buy anything that's made in China when that's where most stuff is made. I don't like it but I can't do anything about it so I take advantage of it when I can.

China is a huge country, with dozens of factories making bootleg carbs, and their quality is all over the place.

OK, back to my statement earlier. Would you guys use the fuel line or spark plug that he got in his deal?

I don't use Chinese fuel lines on the 1127 saws, they kink as far as I know. Maybe they've changed them by now but I haven't tried them. I have a spark plug I think is from China, put it in a Dolmar saw and it worked okay but didn't leave it in it, I was just testing to see if it worked.

Maybe they've changed them by now but I haven't tried them.
Who are "they"? China as a nation? Any one of the many "factories" that are making them? Do they as a group
then "change them"?
Do you get my point?
You may have had good luck with a couple of carbs, so all carbs made in China are good?
Who could say?
With that logic, one could proclaim that all goods and products made in China are good.

Here is a different pic of the carb, on the same listing. Claims to be a replacement for #1127-120-0650, but it says Zama on the carb. If it was a real Zama, wouldn't they say it was?
zam.jpg

Thanks for helping with the diagnosis... I installed the new fuel lines and carb (yes the cheapo from amazon) and the saw is running again. You are probably right about the cheap carb, the one I pulled off just now was another cheapo from when I rebuilt the saw. I'll probably just run with this one for now and on the next go around get a better quality carb. Looks like my compression qauge is way off.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

you were right... cheapo carb I got on amazon lasted an hour now the saw won't run. Same symptoms as before... so I belive the carb to be the issue. i checked with 3 local Stihl dealers and they quoted me as low as $46 for an OEM carb and as high as $89 for one. Can you point me in the right direction to order one online? (for a reasonable cost) or even an aftermarket one that is going to perform well? My husky has been doing all the storm clean up but i really need to get this larger saw going so I can cut up the bigger diameter trees.

Sorry I missed this last post, here is a pic of one I got for my old 029 last fall.
I got your p.m. and check with my local dealers, they usually keep them in stock.
Does your carn have the fitting that attaches to the air filter? Mine didn't, so I had to scrounge up a newer style filter,
and also a grommet for the fitting. The saw runs like new, btw.
290 001.JPG

yes, my carb has the original OEM rubber boot/gasket that connects the carb to the air filter. I have the OEM air filter as well... I should be good if I can get an OEM carb. Thanks so much!

By the way... Harley T. is right, there is something to be said for paying a little extra to get the OEM carb... I've been through 3 of the Chinese ones from amazon for $15 (2 different manufacturers) and none of them have lasted more than a few hours of cutting as well as they are very hard to tune.

Who are "they"? China as a nation? Any one of the many "factories" that are making them? Do they as a group
then "change them"?
Do you get my point?
You may have had good luck with a couple of carbs, so all carbs made in China are good?
Who could say?
With that logic, one could proclaim that all goods and products made in China are good.

I don't want to be rude but i don't think that there is a factory that make carbs in any village in China.There is Farmetec that builds a lot of stuff(maybe the most of them).I ordered a OEM Walbro from Mowers4U and a chinese from a guy on ebay.I got both carbs(chinese carb is a Farmetec one) and compared them.The chinese is a clone,literally,i mean you can't say for sure which is the original but there is some minnor issues like the idle screw must be all the way out to have a proper idle and one of the screws that hold the needle cover was misaligned,i addressed both of them.Well,for 7$ shipped i am "happy" with it.Is it working?Like the Walbro.For how long?I am not sure,i ordered it only because it was cheap and for the curiosity.I run the Walbro on the saw.Walbro package had a paper inside which was saying that the carb is preadjusted from the factory and only minor changes should be needed.I installed the carb and i only adjust half a turn the idle.That's the point,you can make the chinese parts to work but they need some mods,oem parts just work.

I aggree with you that china parts can't meet OEM quality,how could they after all but for the price they ask is an ok choise.

I haven't been to the EXPO in a few years, but there are lots of factories in China that do nothing but make knockoff chainsaw parts, and many many of their booths showing their products are at the EXPO. They started their focus on the Stihl MS290, because that was the biggest market, and have spread out from there.
So the logic of thinking that since 1 person bought a carb from China, and it was good, thus all carbs from China must be good, is not a very sound one.
Change the question to MS290 fuel lines, and you would probably get %99 negative opinions there..

I tried a Husqvarna 55 starter from China, because my Brother in law told me to buy it, and the bolt holes wouldn't even line up.

So, my opinion of China knockoffs is kinda low.

I agree that not all chinese parts are good,they are hit and miss,everyone knows that.These parts have this quality because Chinese manufacturers choose it,they offer an ok quality on a very low price.Chinese can produce quality if they want,either is chainsaw parts or something else.There are crap chinese chell phones manufacturers(like doogee,cubot etc) but there are top notch manufactures like Lenovo,Xiaomi,Meizu etc,irrelevant with cahinsaws but you get my point.Everything is a matter of target group,someone who wants oem quality buy oem,someone who wants to save money buy farmetec,these people are who they targeting.If you are in business(i am not refering to you,i am talking generally) long enough you know what parts to buy from them.You won't buy bearings,seals,intake boot,lines,fuel filter etc.You'll buy covers,mufflers,parts that are not critical for the engine and with a little mod you can make them work.The starter for the 55 that had misaligned holes,wouldn't you be able to make it fit if you mod it a little?I say it again,chinese parts have no match in quality to the oem stuff.

Back