Demoralized and a little embarresed, oil filter stuck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they tell you not to overtighten because that rubber gasket will swell in the presence of oil. Something like 20 - 30 %, partially due to the cheap grade of rubber they use (it is a disposable filter after all) and the fact that nearly any rubber will swell some in the presence of oil.

Ethan, I was just trying to unscrew the oil filter on my van today. The motor was still hot and the filter bent really easily so I stopped and decided to wait till it cools off. Was the motor on your truck hot (or even warm) when you tried removing it?

As cheap as oil changes are, I quit doing the myself some time ago. However, when I used to change my oil, I never went more than about half as tight as I could get with bare hands. There's no need, and it always takes 10 times more effort to remove than to put on.

I would suggest an extra large pair of channel locks or a small pipe wrench, if you can get at it from the side.

I used to do that too, but found out I was paying them for full synthetic and getting synthetic blend, they kept losing screws to my belly pan and that fell off in the middle of the highway, and they lost my wheel key. When my engine sludged up, I quit letting someone else change my oil. Too expensive.

I'm getting to the point I don't let too many people work on my cars, seems there is always more work for me to do when they are done.

Mark

I'm getting to the point I don't let too many people work on my cars, seems there is always more work for me to do when they are done.

it's called "aggravation" and the appropriate answer is

"the aggravation" of letting grease monkeys ##### with my car isn't worth saving a couple of dollars over the long run.

and nobody touches the bike; or very, very bad things happen to them.

been changing oil since I was 10.

and, amen brother.

Don't be afraid

This won't hurt a bit

airhammer.jpg

That is how you do it.

You change the oil with that?

Basically if you get the chisel at the base if the filter, aim it to spin the filter off, you can gently burp the gun and the impact will loosen the filter.
It works on rounded bolt heads too. Of course you have to be careful but it works great for this application if the filter is really buggered up. If you don't have an air hammer you can use a regular chisel and hammer. Really, it works very well. I have done it alot just be careful.

I told this guy once I had a 8G winch I used to pull trees over. He said he didn't think that much force was good to use. Well, I don't use all 8G's all the time.

Last edited:
I bought a 1990 Beretta in 1995 and the filter had been put on with a wrench instead of hand-tight like I do it. I went though this very nightmare. This has never happened to a car that I put a filter on. It has to be that some of these greasemonkeys think a filter wrench is to put 'em on. :mad:

I ended up using sheetmetal screws and washers to attach a length of chain so I could lever the :censored: thing off with a screwdriver.

i had this problem on my mustang when i first got, the car was stored in a barn for 20 plus years.... its not the threads that are sticking, its the gasket... i endded up prying between the blok and the filter to loosen the bond... came right off.
good luck
:chainsaw:

Got a 02 Tundra v8 4x4 filter is a little hard to get to but not bad. I alway get it from the top and get oil all over the skid plate. :censored: I want to say if I wasn't that lazy the filter would be pretty open from the bottom. I haven't had to wrench the filter yet though. Try a rubber / latex glove it gives you quite a bit more grip. Other than that a smaller rubber strap wrench might work.

I have used a shhet of sandpaper folded in half so the sandpaper gripps the filter and your hand at the same time.

But i doubt its going to come off that way if the wrenches didnt work.

Now i was warned many years ago about using the screwdriver trick as broken parts of the filter could end up in the system.

This is what I use... Again, too late for you. It grabs into the filter, the tighter you turn, the tighter it gets. sears.

attachment.php

Maybe try some heat??? Might be kind of dangerous, but if it's been sitting for a while, most of the oil should be dripped off. Nevermind....

:Eye:...Try a chisel. Use the chisel on the base plate from the side of the filter, if you can, and point it in the direction you want to turn. Make a notch for it by hammering it once or twice straight on, then move the chisel and strike at an angle to make it turn. That makes a cheap impact wrench in a fix. Pound it hard 50 or 100 times even if it's not moving.:deadhorse:

Latest posts

Back