Department Store Stihl chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutterb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Today I happened into a new department store for their grand opening. When I turned the corner after entering there it was. A big Stihl display. I always thought that Stihl stood out from the rest because they were dealer only. NOT ANY MORE. I have to say that I am very disapointed. This store had every type of merchandise that you could think of from shoes to fishing rods to horse feed what gives?

There are some small hardware stores and whatnot in my area that have a Stihl dealership as well.

Does this store offer service or just sell them?

They just sell them. And this store is huge. I would name the store but I am afraid to get banned from this site again for naming names. Is it ok to name a store?

They just sell them. And this store is huge. I would name the store but I am afraid to get banned from this site again for naming names. Is it ok to name a store?

Wow, is it that tight around here that you can't name a store?!??? Police state?? Lol

Name away, a local hardware near my work sells them as well... No pro saws but they do have the 290's & 311...

There's a Tru Value around here that is a dealer. I don't know if they are servicing, but they also have a large rental dept. where they actually rent out some nice saws.

The True Value Hardware near me is a Stihl and Husky Dealer . They service as well .

Store name is Big Rs it is a cross between Lowes 'tractor supply and walmart. I would say that it is approx 150 thousand square foot building. And it has more to choose from than all of them. Most of the stihl saws are homeowner/farm saws but they also had a 460 sitting there as well. along with blowers trimmers and pole saws.

There are a couple of Rockys Ace Hardware stores that carry Stihls around here now!!! They actually have a nice display of the saws and accessories. I still prefer to go to the older, more experienced Stihl dealer for service to my saw but the Hardware store has way more variety of accessory items in stock to look at.

I am reading this and thinking,what is the big deal?I dont think I have ever seen a stihl only dealership/store. Am I missing something here?

I don't think its such a big deal either. Its just that it kind of flies in the face of Stihl's advertising that unlike others they are not sold in the big box stores.

I think in the long run Stihl is making a mistake allowing their products to be sold in retail outlets that will have no dealer set-up, support or somewhat knowledgable sales people.:msp_thumbdn:

I think in the long run Stihl is making a mistake allowing their products to be sold in retail outlets that will have no dealer set-up, support or somewhat knowledgable sales people.:msp_thumbdn:

Do we know that this store doesn't have a service department?

Its the only thing that supposedly made them "better" than the "other" brand, cuz they sure as hell dont last any longer :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

I am reading this and thinking,what is the big deal?I dont think I have ever seen a stihl only dealership/store. Am I missing something here?

The Stihl dealership I deal with only sells Stihl. No other brands of OPE. He used to also be a Husqvarna dealership but quit when they started selling them at Lowes and TSC. Oh and he doesn't sell anything else besides Stihl products. It's just a Stihl store. Sorta fun place to visit but I have to leave my wallet in the car under my wife's supervision.

On a related note, got my wife a Kindle for Christmas. That has been a great situation because she always has "a book" with her and thus doesn't mind if I get detained by looking at "guy stuff". She just sits in the car and reads (and guards my wallet)

There are a number of radio Shack stores in Southwestern Virginia (Norton, Vansant) and Southeastern Kentucky that are also Stihl dealers.

We have two hardware stores here in Stanwood Wa. one has Stihl and the other has Husky (but the one that has Husky has NO pro saws)

Last edited:
I don't think Stihl prohibits any individual store from trying to become a dealer. But Stihl doesn't distribute to any retailer at a national or regional level. I don't see why an individual Sears store, for example, couldn't get a dealership franchise if it was available in their area. I'm not sure what Stihl's policy is on how close two dealers can be.

-Eric

We are a Stihl dealer at the store I work at also. We are mainly an auto parts store but we live in a small town and there just wasn't a store in town where you could by a decent saw, trimmer,etc. so the store owner decided to take it on. It is a requirement to service any item that you sell as well as gas up and make sure the item runs right when they buy it. There is decent size town about 30 miles from me that has 3 if not more Stihl dealers so I don't think there is a restriction on how close dealers can be to each other.

Latest posts

Back