Diagnose an idle problem for me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I was out cutting with my 346 yesterday and it started idling funny. RPMs would go up and down at idle till it would finally die. It would then restart with one pull of the rope. It seemed to cut fine, it just wouldn't idle for more than about 30 seconds.

Ian

sounds as though yer possibly chasin an air leak???

I was out cutting with my 346 yesterday and it started idling funny. RPMs would go up and down at idle till it would finally die. It would then restart with one pull of the rope. It seemed to cut fine, it just wouldn't idle for more than about 30 seconds.

Ian

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Ian

How new is it Ian? Is it going through the "Break in run" of say 5 to 10 tanks ?

I had a similar problem with my 350 when it was new and running in, it required richening up the low speed a tad and readjusting the idle and it smoothed out.

Chuck

New this thing isn't... it's about 7 years old and on it's second set of rings. I kinda burned it up once messing with the high speed jet before finding AS.

The fuel lines are originals, I'll have a look at them for cracks.

I'll play with the carb too and see if richening it a little has any effect.

Ian

Pressure/vacuum test

New this thing isn't... it's about 7 years old and on it's second set of rings. I kinda burned it up once messing with the high speed jet before finding AS.

Ian

Mannys right simple stuff,,, remove fuel filter and pressure test to inlet valve on carb, it should hold pressure!!!

Last edited:
look closer

Ian

The fuel line breaks by the tank or inside it.
That would be my first step.

One often overlooked thing is the position of the carb butterfly.Certain models are held in position by a tiny little philips head screw.Once in a blue moon these things loosen up and allow the butteryfly to shift positions.

The butterfly has a tiny little notch that must be positioned directly in line with the low speed jet or else it will not idle at all,just flat out dies.

I would hate to make a guess as to how many carbs have given me fits in the past before Rocky J Squirrel brought this to my attention.

Ian, check your fuel lines.
I just had to chase down a cracked line yesterday on a 1800. One was where mine went through handle and one in the tank where it went through tank. Same thing was happening as yours, noticed it wouldn't idle during use. Put a new line and fuel filter while I was at it, runs good as new again. Good luck.

One often overlooked thing is the position of the carb butterfly.Certain models are held in position by a tiny little philips head screw.Once in a blue moon these things loosen up and allow the butteryfly to shift positions.

The butterfly has a tiny little notch that must be positioned directly in line with the low speed jet or else it will not idle at all,just flat out dies.

I would hate to make a guess as to how many carbs have given me fits in the past before Rocky J Squirrel brought this to my attention.

Thanks Al. good tip

Haven't tried anything yet, just packed it back in the barn for now amongst the other two saws that are in various states of disassembly. :laugh:

Ian

some models had a carb. screen inside by fuel inlet, check this if all else fails, dirt under the needle seat? I usually remove my carbs periodically on saws not needing to be used & clean them, this has reduced alot of on job problems for me. A pain but worth it!! Good Luck.

LXT.........

Good post Al!!!!

I tried to rep ya but Im out of bullets,,,,You just got moved to the head of the class!!!!!:rock: :rock: :laugh: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back