Diaphragm or Adjustment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainsawRookie84

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all, new to working on chainsaws, but familiar with wrenches. Anyhow, I have 2 old chainsaws that haven't ran in about a year. One is a Husqvarna 141, the other an ECHO 500EVL.

That said, I took the carbs off, cleaned all the smootz inside and reinstalled. When I was cleaned em, I took out both the H and L adjustment needles fully and foolishly never counted the turns that they were installed at..

Now my question is, both saws will run for about a half a second and die, this is after I choked it for 1 pull and it acted like it will start, turned choke off and they both fired up for half a second.

Now I googled it and a lot of people say the diaphragm inside the carbs may be bad, but both seemed good, no tears, plyable, etc.

I post this at the end of the day after my arm feels like it about to fall off from attempting to pull start these two saws for hours.

Main question if you do not want to read the entire post.

Will the H and L adjustments if not correctly tuned cause both saws to run for a half second and die or is it most likely a diaphragm problem on both?

There is or was a sticker on top cover listing cc, model #, yr built. If you need parts, any of the above IPLs will work.

There is or was a sticker on top cover listing cc, model #, yr built. If you need parts, any of the above IPLs will work.

I was debating buying a new carb if I cannot get this saw running correctly instead of rebuilding the current one but wanted to be sure I purchased the correct one. There seems to be at least 3 diff carbs.

Any carb for a 136 to 142 will work. Search ebay Husqvarna 141 carb. They'll have both Zama and Walbro clones.

Any carb for a 136 to 142 will work. Search ebay Husqvarna 141 carb. They'll have both Zama and Walbro clones.

Gotcha, what would be the differences between the WT660, WT542, and the WT289 be?

Also, have you guys had any luck with the $10 chinese carbs? Or should I just spend the 30 on OEM?

So I got rebuild kits in for both saws. The husqvarna runs good now but the echo is still acting up.

It sure if it's a intake gasket seal or if it's just bad adjustment?

The echo runs good up high but it won't idle for more than let's say 5 sec no matter what I do.

So I got rebuild kits in for both saws. The husqvarna runs good now but the echo is still acting up.

It sure if it's a intake gasket seal or if it's just bad adjustment?

The echo runs good up high but it won't idle for more than let's say 5 sec no matter what I do.

I thinks Madsens still has a link/post to carb adjustment. Try that then come back.

BTW, well come. Where is Eastville?

So I messed with the carb some more, no luck tho. I did manage to get it running good for about 3 min and figured it was fixed. Tried to start it again and it wouldnt idle.. So odd.

Back