Did a little cutting today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We should not have a problem getting firewood for awhile. We have a place up the road that has been sold and has been logged out. I think there is around 130 acres, don't know how much is wooded though. They just recently got done logging and left a bunch of tree tops. They also left a bunch of trees standing, I was told they were going to clear cut it. I am not sure if we will have access to the standing trees.

Hopefully we can get a bunch of it. My dad has talked to the owner and he says he wants to burn it just to clean the place up. He is letting us cut as much as we want but not sure for how long. We went up there and cut two truck loads today and plan on going back tomorrow. Man it sucks cutting wood in this heat we are having. The bad thing about it is in the spot where we are currently cutting, you are in the blazing sun in the middle of the day. We may just do it in the morning or wait until evening where we can work in the shade.

I don't know if anybody else is having trouble with their saws and other 2 cycle stuff but we are starting to have all kinds of problems. I think it is gas related. I just bought some ethanol free gas from the same place I always get it and today while cutting, the JD CS56 did not want to start and when it did, it acts like it is not getting fuel. The last time we tried, it would not start at all. So we just continued with the Stihl 441RCM and it started having trouble starting. Once it was started it was fine but took several pulls to start. My uncle came up and got talking and he said he was having trouble with his weedeater, didn't ask where he buys his gas at.

Here are a couple pics of what we cut so far. I know this is oak but not sure what type. My dad says red oak but my grandfather says maybe burr oak.

IMG_0582_zps9510498d.jpg

IMG_0583_zpsd8a05411.jpg

I spent the day in the woods also. My pile I need to split, a little over 3' high, 35'long & about 3-5' wide. All oak, Ash & Hickory. I'm exhausted, was by myself. And got a nice sunburn for my effort. On the plus side I came home 5lbs lighter. LOL

Looks more like Red Oak. The Burr and Whites have more rounded leaf lobes and the reds are sharp.
I try not to cut in this kind of heat so cant really say what may be happening w/ the saws, but I know quite a few comment about fuel issues when its hot.
You got a great situation with all the tops and other trees. Enjoy!!!!

Ron

We got two more truck loads cut, making that four all together. I think we might be getting into some sweet gum, I have heard some bad stories about this stuff. Is it as bad as sycamore?

Both of our saws are not running right. On the JD CS56, when he first starts cutting with it, it starts right up and no problems cutting. But after a while, it will have trouble starting, but still cuts fine once he gets it going. On the Stihl 441RCM, it doesn't really have to much trouble starting, at least not as bad as the JD, it could be better. But when I let off the throttle after finishing a cut and go to rev it up again, it will hesitate/sputter for a second.

I may visit the local Stihl dealer and see if there has been any issues with bad gas come up. I may also try some premixed gas and see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, then I will have the Stihl checked out since it is under warranty.

I don't what it is about cutting wood in the heat but it will just flat wear me out. Don't get me wrong, I am not afraid of work. I can put up square bales of hay all day long in the heat and not seem that bad.

Last edited:
Sweet score. I agree that cutting in the morning and evening would be better, unless of course time is an issue with the owner and he wants it all cleared up now. In that case, accept your sunburn with pride. Keep piling those rounds up!

Build you fire of hickory
hickory ash n oak
wont use no green nor rotten wood
get you buy the smoke

+1 for red oak. As for saw problems on hot days, I've cut many many days in 90+ degree temps, and not experienced any starting or running problems, but for the last 19 or 20 years, I've almost exclusively been running the same Husky 51. The owners of the saw shop told me many years ago when I bought that saw to use premium gas and stay away from the ethanol fuels; been following that advice ever since. That saw has been to hell and back and never missed a beat, doesn't matter if it's 10 below or 95 above, it starts and runs the same as day one. Maybe others can provide some knowledge on the issue you're experiencing.

We went cutting a few times this year in temps between 95-100, crazy I know but my son only has limited time off and wanted to go. Anyway none of the saws were easy to start once they had run awhile. Had a 362, 311 & 032. Run 89 octane with the anti ethanol stuff the dealer sells. Only seem to have problems in very hot weather, low 90's or cooler they run fine. One of the guys at the dealer said they tend to run lean when its that hot.

buy the good gas, don't use the cheap stuff it will gum up your carb

buy the good gas, don't use the cheap stuff it will gum up your carb

I buy the ethanol free gas, the same stuff I have been using for years. I just wonder if they didn't get a bad batch or something. I may try the premixed fuel and see if that makes a difference. If it does, well then the fuel is the problem.

We got 2 more truck loads hauled home today making it a total of 7 truck loads all together. Alot of the stuff we dealt with today was 19" straight across red oak. It is a good thing we have a hydraulic splitter even though it is still a chore to man handle them pieces. Normally I would split it with the X27 but this stuff was too knotty. These are not all tree tops, some of them are the whole trees that was not good enough for them to take. Some of it is starting to rot in the middle.

There is still plenty more in the pile we are working on, there are multiple piles. I believe there is some maple, poplar and more oak. We might bring the tractor next time to pull some of them out of the pile. If he is in no hurry to clean these piles up, I would say we would be set for a couple of years.

IMG_0588_zpsad47a079.jpg

Back