Did i get a good deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently purshased an 038 AV, in what i would say is good condition for its age. Not a lot of use. With 4 extra good chains(20" B&C), for $150. And a 55 rancher, 04 model with 18" b&c, for $175. It literally had not a scratch on it when i got it. Used almost none! May have half hour on it. Awesome compression!Not even a spec of dust. I was gonna sell one or the other, but i backed out. I like them both! How did i do? Opinions welcome from all please.

Last edited:
I think ya done good

:yourock: Any time you can pick up a good running saw for under $200 it is my humble opinion that its a good deal. Of course, how good depends on how well you feel after you've got a chance to run them.

I recently purshased an 038 AV, in what i would say is good condition for its age. Not a lot of use. With 4 extra good chains(20" B&C), for $150. And a 55 rancher, 04 model with 18" b&c, for $175. It literally had not a scratch on it when i got it. Used almost none! May have half hour on it. Awesome compression!Not even a spec of dust. I was gonna sell one or the other, but i backed out. I like them both! How did i do? Opinions welcome from all please.

i would say you did
i pick up today a 394 that needs some work for 150.00

Both are excellent shape. I already cut two large oaks with the 038. and one with the 55. Just put a new chain on the 55 and tuned it in. Top cover had never been even been off.

Guy i work with gave me a 345 that was locked down. Im in the process of putting it back together. Maybe it will turn out well too, and i'll be extra lucky i guess. At the same yard sale i bought the 55 at, a co worker of mine bought a super nice 268 for 185 i think it was? They also had a 254xp for 225. Very nice too. And a 51 in like new condition for 150. If only i haq more money....

What kind of yard sale had that many nice saws. All the yard or garage sales near have are the cheap home owner types of saws. Should have picked up the 254, one on Ebay was over $400.

A guy used to be a small engine shop and sell huskys. Bought a bunch of saws and went out of business from what i gathered. Said he was a dealer a few years ago. I oughta got the 254, but not enough cash at the time. Are they a faster cutting saw that the 55?

I have never run a 254, however I would bet that it would smoke a 55. I was at an auction early this year and watched a new 357xp go for $190.00, was waiting to bid on a new 346xp. Ofcourse it went for more than I was willing to go, that 357 would have looked nice on my shelf. Hey win some lose some, I did end up with a 394xp at another auction.

I have never run a 254, however I would bet that it would smoke a 55. I was at an auction early this year and watched a new 357xp go for $190.00, was waiting to bid on a new 346xp. Ofcourse it went for more than I was willing to go, that 357 would have looked nice on my shelf. Hey win some lose some, I did end up with a 394xp at another auction.

Why would you skip on a cheap 357 and try to get the 346?

Back