Did I make a big mistake on this 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atvguns

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked up a 064 today got home started disassemble for cleaning purposes and found JB weld under the cylinder for what ever reason. Is this going to hold any length of time or should I try to get my money back The guy told me it had a new cylinder and piston installed before he got it must have been some major damage done.

attachment.php

Also am wonderg if I do keep it and do a MM should this large box in the middle be removed or just make the holes bigger

attachment.php

wow...I wouldnt keep it. He was obviously aware that it was that way.

Cut the end off the box atleast. I try to cut the whole cage out.

There is no way I'd keep that saw, the best way to remove JB is to heat it up and the cylinder is going to heat up. I think that is a 066 cylinder as the flange on a 064 is only .250-.375 thick and that one is closer to .625.

Was the saw a bargain? If it was top doller I send it back, if it was cheap I would keep it and pull the jug and take a look.

I bought a used 757 from the Stihl shop, and the muffler fell off at about 1/2 tank of fuel. It had been cracked, (housing) and quadruple heli coiled. Just got my new muffler gasket today to put it back together.

Not quite the same situation though.

I just re-read your thread title. Being misled does not constitute a "mistake on your part".

So the answer to your question is, "NO"

:)

The first pic just how far under the jug is it? Did the case have a big chunk broke out? I'm thinking without pulling the jug its hard to tell.

I give $300 for the saw with 28" carlton bar and chain. chain is about half was thinking about trading my o44 for it but decided to buy it instead

There is no way I'd keep that saw, the best way to remove JB is to heat it up and the cylinder is going to heat up. I think that is a 066 cylinder as the flange on a 064 is only .250-.375 thick and that one is closer to .625.

:agree2:

Look in the oiler hole for bar, if you see the end of the oil hose
with the brass insert, it's 064. 064 has hose running from oil pump.
066/660 doesn't use hose, they have a passage way in crank case
for oil to pump to bar.

In this thread I posted pictures of how to tell 064 from 066 crank case
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/99356.htm

TT

If the guy will take it back you might be better off doing that. I wouldn't touch anything on it until you decide that. I didn't really pay attention to all the pictures earlier.

That's good. That saw might need a new case half to fix it right.

Latest posts

Back