Did some noodling today just to try it out.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Before I joined this site I never knew what noodling was and never thought of doing it.I tried it out today on some big pieces and it was surprisingly quick.Only problem I encountered was the noodles clogging the chain but it seamed if I kept the rpm up it was ok.I also learned a new term called bucking when referring to cutting the logs to the proper length.I always just said cutting the logs but I like saying bucking because it makes me seem more professional.LOL..I may never tilt my splitter or lift a heavy piece of wood again it the noodling thing keeps working good.Thanks guys.

Noodling and bucking are not terms i'll be using anytime soon. I live in the suburbs and i cut logs up. It would be completely inappropriate for me to use quasi cowboy jargon.:pumpkin2:

Before I joined this site I never knew what noodling was and never thought of doing it.I tried it out today on some big pieces and it was surprisingly quick.Only problem I encountered was the noodles clogging the chain but it seamed if I kept the rpm up it was ok.I also learned a new term called bucking when referring to cutting the logs to the proper length.I always just said cutting the logs but I like saying bucking because it makes me seem more professional.LOL..I may never tilt my splitter or lift a heavy piece of wood again it the noodling thing keeps working good.Thanks guys.
To really win friends and influence people, be sure to drop "slopping back cut" into a few conversations. The real pros in the know will nod in quiet acknowledgement of your prowess. The rest will just be suitably bamboozled. Regarding the noodle clogging observation, try tilting the tip of the bar a little so the chain isn't cutting directly along the grain, but making slightly shorter noodles that won't clog so much. Not anywhere near as much fun as shooting for the longest noodles in a noodle-off with your fellow pros, but then trying to unclog your saw of noodles that end up snaking their way under the chain into the bar grooves and around the nose sprocket, not to mention darn near self-combusting under the cover isn't much fun either.

Over here when we were kids we used to spend many a wet holiday hour with colouring-in posters called doodle-art. We need to have noodle-art. My fave is positioning pre-noodle rounds into a big circle, noodling them and forming a giant star of noodles when viewed from above. I promise to get a picture next opportunity I have to do it.

Been wondering and even searched around, Although I read it used often what exactly is the definition of noodling?

Noodling is when you cut parallel to the grain of the wood in order to split it length wise. The wood chips come out long and skinny like noodles. I bought my 064 mainly to noodle with. Did some today on some knotty hickory and white oak crotches. If my Fiskars bounces off after 2 or 3 good hits, then I noodle it. That's my rule :) The farm I cut on has some big trees, often in the 30" and a few over 40", mostly oak and beech. That's big for around here. When one blows down, the rounds are just too big to be able to do anything with them, especially if they are down in a ravine. I can noodle them on the spot faster than the average splitter can split them, and it's easier to man handle my 064 around than it is to man handle a 36" round of oak :)

To help keep the noodles from clogging too bad, I normally put a small limb, piece of 4x4, or a split under one end of the round so that it's laying at an angle to the ground. I start with the tip of the bar on the far end of the round because that seems to help keep me from getting things crooked. From there, I drop the back of the saw in, and level the bar out so that I'm cutting at a slight angle to the grain. The noodles are shorter this way, and come off pretty good. When the back of the bar gets almost to the bottom of the round, I raise the back end up and let the bar cut parallel to the grain again. Since the end closest to me has already been cut, the noodles have more time to come off, and they generally don't clog things up. The only time I get into problems is if I'm on a big round and I don't get the noodles cleaned out from under the saw.

Only problem I encountered was the noodles clogging the chain but it seamed if I kept the rpm up it was ok.

The bigger saw, the better. If you want to do a lot of noodling, there are several approaches you can do.

I will use stihl for example since that is what I own. If you have dual dawgs, take off the steel chain catch and install the ceramic roller catch. This will stop most of the problem.

If you have a bar you can spare, you can rig it up with dawgs installed a couple inches down the bar, I don't have a pic, but have seen it on here before. You will have to drill the bar out and make some spacers. Basically, you would have a extra set with one on the bar. This keeps a larger gap between your drive area and the log.

You can get a spare drive cover and cut out the back section to give more room for the noodles to fall out.

Hopefully, some members can come along with pics of these last two.

noodle uses

Not only is it fun but don't let that resource sit out on the ground to rot! Gather up those noodles. They make the best firestarter. Since I have 3 Rotties Im never at a loss for empty food bags. Fill a bag up with noodles, toss it in the top of the shed to dry out and presto! I've been giving my firewood customers a plastic grocery bag full of noodles and a copy paper box full of splitter turds with each cord. Hopefully that and the cord+ I've been selling them will turn them into repeats.

Been wondering and even searched around, Although I read it used often what exactly is the definition of noodling?

Noodling...

[video=youtube;7or-H70aoWk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7or-H70aoWk[/video]

Ain't Ash just pretty wood???

Last edited:
the term

I had done it when I had to over the years. Not owning a large saw, nor a power splitter, but I always just called it "chunking it up". Noodling I heard here first.

Interesting to know who came up with that name and when and where.

Noodling and bucking are not terms i'll be using anytime soon. I live in the suburbs and i cut logs up. It would be completely inappropriate for me to use quasi cowboy jargon.:pumpkin2:

Yeah I would be shocked to find out you said something inappropriate.:msp_rolleyes:

I'll post a pic tomorrow of the noodles I made... big heaping pile, about that size in the 3120 vid. Shorter noodles though, as it is full comp chain that I'm running on the 850.

I assume you know that you don't have to cut through. If you're accurate with a maul, you can hit a noodled groove, or use wedges there. Quicker. Reduced debris.

You can see in this vid that if you point the bar nose down a little it makes the noodles shorter and dont clog things up as easily.

[video=youtube;jnlGWXyODtY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnlGWXyODtY[/video]

Back