Did something Dum- straight gas into Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eyolf said:
By the way, don't feel like you're the only one that does stuff...
a few months ago a part time groundie put straight gas in the bossman new 2165 jonsered:angry2: . hes gone and we don't keep straight gas in truck anymore.

LostWater said:
Ok, I did something really stoopid, I didn't pay attention and ran straight gas into both of my stihls. The cylinder and the piston is scored on each.

To fix, am I correct that I would just need to get a new cylinder (jug?) and piston for each? I have the workshop manual and do pretty complicated stuff on my cars and stuff. Any gaskets would be needed?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks in adavance,

Mark
Christiansburg, VA

Made that boo boo did ya, don't feel bad, its common. I've ripped apart hundreds of Stihl saws that have been run on pure gas till they've stopped. I've yet to see one lose a bottom end because of one bout of pure gas. If these saws have only been through one bout of pure gas your in business. The lower bearings and crank usually withstand a bout of pure gas. In fact I got 3 of my own that were given to me that died on pure gas and I put new pistons and cylinders on them and they have been running like new for years.

near miss

Well...one time I dumped staright gas in, but I caught my mistake before I fired it up. just dumped it out and put 50:1 in. I know it would not have been that way if I had run it for any length of time. After that near disaster I got smart and followed these guys advice. My saw gas can now has "2-Cycle mix ONLY" conspicuously written on both sides so even a moron can see it.

I didn't use straight gas, but did fill the fuel tank with bar oil.. grrrrr... PITA to get out of the carb in the field...

OK, OK, OK - I'll come clean, too. I did 'em both one day. Was knocking out that big black locust yard-tree and was quite eager to get that job DONE. Was in the home stretch and the tank ran dry. I was far enough to declare "one more tank and this job's done" - we were in a hurry, winter hours, getting dusk, truck only half-full of "farwood" , unseasonable thaw coming next day making near-term cutting impossible (can't rut-up the guys yard). Kind of under the gun but in a friendly way.

Filled oil and mix tanks, ripper 'er to life, and the danged saw sputtered to a stop in about 3.87036683296 seconds (who needs a stopwatch, I'm gifted! :D ). WTF??!! Yup, gas in oil tank and oil in gas tank... Boy howdy if I didn't look the lumberjack of the year that day! Dumped both tanks, refilled each with what is supposed to be in 'em and finished the cuts in a thick stankey blue fog. No skeeters, though.

first off Ed recently started a thread on saving a 385 cylinder you might want to check out. Also I am surprised that nobody on here mentions that the aluminum on stuck on the cylinder becomes a first class abrasive once it is sanded free. Whenever possible use a light oil with the sanding.

Buck

Latest posts

Back