Did You Go Into the Woods Today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DDM said:
attachment_20458.php

John?what model JD is that?
<b>?</b>

Please allow me the opportunity to fetch the attachment myself, when/if I'm ready.

Thanks,
Glen

So when are you going to trade her in on a new 748 grapple skidder, you make the big money so what if you got $12000 to $15000 a month lease payments, and I bet you they will give you $13000 for you old 540 on trade in. Now that is a deal , no more chokers to hook up just drive by the tree and pick her up with your heater or A/C on , now you are logging

I looked at a new 648GIIITC at my local Deere dealer last week and it runs $225,000 with heat and air and that was NOT the MSRP which is higher. John really needs an 848GIII :p

Was out to the wood patch the past two days cleaning up the old burn piles. Miserable weather to work in: 52 deg and no breeze...jeez, I even had to take off my coat. Yes I am in what is normally snow country (east WA) and temps should be in low 30s days, freezing nights). Did get to play a bit with my small Husky 51 cutting up partly burned logs. Wanted to fall a short brushy snag but the 51 was way to small for the job.

Harry K

Hi John, no the 848 does not come with a DVD player but you could add one after market. Is that a new truck I spy?

Sugar Maple

Gypo Logger said:
This Sugar Maple burns like charcoal, even when greener than grass as long as it's 20 below when you cut it.
John

John,

Not to sound "gullable", but, is this true? You can cut it split it and it will burn as hot in a airtight stove as well seasoned wood? Why do you think this happens?

George

I'd be surprised if it is true. The problem with green wood is the water that must be boiled away before the wood can burn. There is a tremendous amount of energy consummed to turn 212 degree water into 212 degree water vapor, near 500 times the energy to raise the temperature of water from 211 degrees to 212 degrees. So first you have to raise the water temperature to 212 degrees, then boil it, then heat it some more, and the net energy going into the water alone can be larger than the energy available from the combustion. That's why green wood sometimes just goes out. Unless you can cool the flue gas temperature below 212 degrees, that energy is lost out the chimney. Most woodstoves are going to have flue gas temperatures well over 300 degrees, more like 500. Even if you could cool the flue gases to under 212, you would have a big mess. Water soaked creosote running down your flue, yuck! IMHO, burning green wood wastes a lot of energy, which translates into cutting more wood.

The wood will of course contain less water this time of year than it will in the spring and summer so will dry quicker if cut now. I use some green wood at night to extend the burning time to more closely correspond with my nocturnal urination.While you are convertilng the water to steam it is hard to get the temperature high enough to burn all the volatiles and that is where 80% of the heat is.
Gypo has told us that he used to sprinkle his firewood with salt and pepper so he could truthfully tell his customers it was seasoned wood!

LJS said:
turnkey4099,

How's the hips doing? LJS

Thanks for asking. I ask the same question every morning. Actually not all that bad. The newest one is still a bit stiff and doesn't like having much of a load put on it but it's coming along. Moslty needs exercise which I haven't been doing. The nice weather has got theold itch to be out and about so that is taking care of that problem. All in all I don't think they will slow me down as much as age is.

Harry K

Seasoned Wood

Crofter said:
Gypo has told us that he used to sprinkle his firewood with salt and pepper so he could truthfully tell his customers it was seasoned wood!

I'll tell ya...... for a Gay Logger(not that there is anything wrong with that), that Gypo is CRAZY! :dizzy: "Seasoned Wood"

Signed,

GeorgeW

turnkey4099 said:
Thanks for asking. I ask the same question every morning. Actually not all that bad. The newest one is still a bit stiff and doesn't like having much of a load put on it but it's coming along. Moslty needs exercise which I haven't been doing. The nice weather has got theold itch to be out and about so that is taking care of that problem. All in all I don't think they will slow me down as much as age is.

Harry K

Glad to hear your doing OK Harry. Things could be worst, you could still have the old hips. Keep up the therapy! LJS

Latest posts

Back