Difference between 026 and 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWnewguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sorry to start sucha thread, but after searching for awhile I couldn't find anything explaining the difference. Is there really anything substantial?

For late models - fuel/oil caps, and cover styling. Engine - at one point nothing, then 44.7mm bore on the 260; up from 44.

Most of the Stihl 0xx models are pretty much the same as the earlier xx0 models. A lot of the parts swap over. The xx0 models mostly have the flip up and twist oil and gas caps, as opposed to screw in ones (the 170 still have screw ins). I was not aware of the .7 mm bore difference in the newer 260 though. Have to keep that in mind for my 026 project saw here.

Thanks

for the information, looking at the exploded view I didn't think there was too much difference. I love that phrase exploded view. I think it more accurately describes when I catch up to a coyote with the 50BMG though. I was also wondering what was different about a "stratocharged" saw and a "regular" saw. Feel like I should already know, but I don't. Maybe I should start another thread about that. I doubt I am the only idiot that doesn't know why they call it "stratocharged".

The 260 also uses a better air filter, although not a lot better. I have both and do prefer the 260 but really only because my 260 is a pro and has the adjustable oilier (I never use the decompression button), and my 026 is the regular without the adj oilier and decomp. I just found out about the 44.7mm bore a few months ago?? Lake, can you tell me when the cut off was??

From serial number 262187362, the bore increased to 44.7 to compensate for the epa changes - manly muffler. Open the muffler and get back to the pre-epa power levels.

muffler hole

Erik how big did you go? I have the 260pro and have a fair number of hours on it and think it is time too do surgery on this poor abused thing :jester: mine is a cutin fool just want wake it up a bit:chainsaw:
thanks mate

My 260 has a intellicarb and side access chain adjusterI dont belive the 026's do? the 260 also has a plastic handle.

Last edited:
Erik how big did you go? I have the 260pro and have a fair number of hours on it and think it is time too do surgery on this poor abused thing :jester: mine is a cutin fool just want wake it up a bit:chainsaw:
thanks mate

Drill two 5/16 to 3/8 holes., one above and one below the existing holes in the back of the front cover.

Last edited:
I went to 85% of the exhaust port at the piston. I used a carbide bit on my dremal to open the existing hole to a square hole at 85% and removed the screen. Can't remember the exact numbers but I want to say it’s a ½” X not quite a 1” (.85") hole. Stihl has cast a pretty good template in the cover from the factory. The screen will restrict about 40% of the exhaust flow so if you need to leave the screen you will need to compensate for that. It took about 20 minutes (literally no WoJo needed) to complete the mod and it made a world of difference. Just make sure you clean out all of the filings (wash with water don't rely on air to blow it all out) and remember to reset the carb when you are done. Good luck

The later model 026 has the improved air filter and intellicarb, same as the 260. According to an established 'saw' modifier in Canada, the late model 026 with a muffler mod is a more powerful than a late model 260 with a muffler mod. I have both, and the 026 with muffler mod is my 'regular' limbing saw, it is an exceptional saw. Sometimes I think you run across a saw where everything just clicks perfectly; I will keep this one till it can no longer be repaired.

I went to 85% of the exhaust port at the piston. I used a carbide bit on my dremal to open the existing hole to a square hole at 85% and removed the screen. Can't remember the exact numbers but I want to say it’s a ½” X not quite a 1” (.85") hole. Stihl has cast a pretty good template in the cover from the factory. The screen will restrict about 40% of the exhaust flow so if you need to leave the screen you will need to compensate for that. It took about 20 minutes (literally no WoJo needed) to complete the mod and it made a world of difference. Just make sure you clean out all of the filings (wash with water don't rely on air to blow it all out) and remember to reset the carb when you are done. Good luck

I also did the muffler mod on my 026. However it tends to lean out the saw and the intellicarb has a fixed high speed jet. (at least on my 026). I used a number size micro drill bit to determine the size of the existing jet and then increased it to the next size larger. (I don't remember the exact size). You don't need to use a drill. A hand held micro drill bit vise works great.

You can also try and find the older style adjustable carb. I tried both carbs and actually like the fixed jet carb better. The old style carb seemed to be overly sensitive. With the right jetting, the fixed jet carb is better IMHO.

I thought it would go without saying but I just wanted to be clear for those who are reading this.

REMOVE THE COVER FROM THE SAW BEFORE YOU GRIND OR DRILL!!

you guys laugh but I have seen it done.

I also did the muffler mod on my 026. However it tends to lean out the saw and the intellicarb has a fixed high speed jet. (at least on my 026). I used a number size micro drill bit to determine the size of the existing jet and then increased it to the next size larger. (I don't remember the exact size). You don't need to use a drill. A hand held micro drill bit vise works great.

You can also try and find the older style adjustable carb. I tried both carbs and actually like the fixed jet carb better. The old style carb seemed to be overly sensitive. With the right jetting, the fixed jet carb is better IMHO.

Yeah it's best to look before you start to grind and make sure your saw has 3 adjustment screws, and not just 3 holes. I've never drilled the high jet on the fixed jet carb but have heard of folks (like yourself) that have done it with excellent results. The WT426 carbs are easily found at your stealer, fleabay, or local hobby shops and are fairly cheap. The WT194 seems to be the better carb (more adjustment) if you can find one, but to tell the truth I've never had a problem with the 426.

I own two 026's and sell a fair amount of 260's and it seems like the 260s run a little smoother and might me a little lighter. But both of my 026 were set and got new pistons and cylinders so it's not really a fair asessment of the differences.

This is exactly what I would like to do. Is there anyway you or anyone else can find out what size jet should go into the existing Intellicarb design? Incidentally, what size is in there to begin with?

Size of 026

Own an 024 Super, according to factory spec., 44.3 {024= 42,0} How can an 026, be only 44.7, given the larger piston with the same stroke, as a super? Factory CC of an 026 is 50 cc. What am I missing?

Latest posts

Back