Difference in 024av wood boss and 024 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How can I tell the difference in a Stihl 024 av wood boss and the 024 super cases with crankshaft?
It is my understanding that the clutch side of crank is longer.
Can I tell from serial number.

I haven't really delved into it,
but I believe that the super has a longer rod, like the 026.
The 024 has a 1.18" stroke and the 024 Super has 1.26" stroke, the same as an 026. But, is the so-called "wood boss" the same as the 024 or the Super? That has always been confusing because Stihl also attached the Wood Boss name to Supers. I have a feeling that if the s is missing from av that the stroke is the shorter one.

If you can dig up the Owner's Manual, it will give you the specs.

I have a stack of 024s and 026s, but haven't really gotten too worried about it.
I am not worried either
The 024 has a 1.18" stroke and the 024 Super has 1.26" stroke, the same as an 026. But, is the so-called "wood boss" the same as the 024 or the Super? That has always been confusing because Stihl also attached the Wood Boss name to Supers. I have a feeling that if the s is missing from av that the stroke is the shorter one.

If you can dig up the Owner's Manual, it will give you the specs.

Thanks--that is helpful.
I was given a decent 024av with bad crank. Piston and cylinder look very good. I would like to find a used case with crank and just transfer parts instead of splitting case and replacing crank.
I have found some at a good price but don't want to get a super since they are different.
At least now, I can check stroke.

I was successful a few years back in converting an 024 AVS (super) to an 026 by rebuilding the top end and adding new plastic, air filter, and carb. It worked. The cost was not too much higher than the fancy 024 air filter that has become scarce as a hen's tooth. Practically nobody carries that 024 air filter. As HarleyT often says, "no Pic, never happened", so here's proof:
Stihl 024-026.jpg

Cant figure out if the saw in the back is an 024 or 024 super anyway to tell without ripping it apart?

Attachments

• 340FC096-52B1-4582-997A-7B8F5EFBCFE9.jpeg
    340FC096-52B1-4582-997A-7B8F5EFBCFE9.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 31
The saw in the front is likely an 026 PRO. The saw in the back is either an 024 or 026. Only the 024 PRO in that series included a decomp valve. The PRO decal on the carb cover is likely missing from the saw in the front. I just sold one that was missing that decal. Good saw, the buyer got a bargain.

Latest posts

Back