Different kind of splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am going to start buying logs to cut into firewood. The logs I'm going to buy are going to be tree length. Most of the logs will be in the 8-12" range. I want to build a little hydraulic splitter with a 4-way to split these. e is my thinking. It would be a 3" cylinder with a 1.5 rod. The stroke would be 18" I would have a 13gpm pump on it. This should be around a 4.4 second cycle time. The logs won't be really knotty for the most part. I'm not looking for something to split big round or knotty wood. This will be production wood only. Will this cylinder do the job and hold up. I know it's not that big but the wood is small wood.

Thanks for the replies and the information.
Scott

Scott, I think it shouldn't have any problem, that's a pretty common farm implement size and we've never bent a rod yet, even with some pretty heavy applications. One thing you might think about is that JD hydraulics on the bigger tractors are rated at 3000 psi, although Deere has some else make the cylinders for them they are able to take more. We have had several 2500 psi cross cylinder's start leaking at the seals when used on one of the bigger JD tractors. We started buying the JD branded cylinders and so far they take it without leaking. You might think about using a big truck harmonic balancer as a fly wheel between the engine and the pump, keeps them from going into the 2nd stage, keep the momentum up, some of the brands I've seen call it a hydraulic multiplier.

I am going to start buying logs to cut into firewood. The logs I'm going to buy are going to be tree length. Most of the logs will be in the 8-12" range. I want to build a little hydraulic splitter with a 4-way to split these. e is my thinking. It would be a 3" cylinder with a 1.5 rod. The stroke would be 18" I would have a 13gpm pump on it. This should be around a 4.4 second cycle time. The logs won't be really knotty for the most part. I'm not looking for something to split big round or knotty wood. This will be production wood only. Will this cylinder do the job and hold up. I know it's not that big but the wood is small wood.

Thanks for the replies and the information.
Scott

Woah, what happend to your super splits??

Super split will still be used for most everything. I want another high capacity splitter. I'll use the super splitter for cook wood (split very small) and this splitter will be used for home owner wood. I want to build a small processor. This splitter will allow me to work the processor faster.

Scott

Super split will still be used for most everything. I want another high capacity splitter. I'll use the super splitter for cook wood (split very small) and this splitter will be used for home owner wood. I want to build a small processor. This splitter will allow me to work the processor faster.

Scott

ah, i got just want you need. it'd put ur production through the roof!

Back