Different Pitch???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeigler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What's the difference between .325 and 3/8 pitch? i have .325 on mine.

Thanks in advance!

3/8 chain uses a much bigger cutter and has different spacing between the links. To use 3/8 on your 290 you need a new bar, chain, and sprocket. $50-75 to switch.

3/8 = .375

The 3/8 pitch chain is larger and stronger, but takes more power to pull through the cut. It is better for larger powerful saws. The .325 is good for the small to medium saws. It takes less power to pull through due to the narrower Kerf. To change from one to the other you need to change the drive sprocket, and the bar (assuming you have a sprocket tip, some bars don't)

Some of the other guys can probably add more to this, as I have limited experience. I have an older homeowner saw with a 325 and a larger more powerful saw that came with a 375 (or 3/8) I have not tried the bigger saw with a 325 bar and chain set up, and my saw pulls the 3/8 well so I probably won't change it. My motto is if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Hope this helps:greenchainsaw:

There is plethora of chain sizes!!! 1/4", Picco, Pico narrow, .325" 3/8" 1/2" .404" even some 3/4"!
Measure the distance between three links and divide by two.
Then you get into gauge:dizzy:

There is plethora of chain sizes!!! 1/4", Picco, Pico narrow, .325" 3/8" 1/2" .404" even some 3/4"!
Measure the distance between three links and divide by two.
Then you get into gauge:dizzy:

He didn't ask about all of those, but of course you are correct. They all have their different uses, then there is Chisel, semi chisel Full Skip etc. It goes on and on and on.

Redneck

With the pitch, where did you get the divide by 2? I've never heard of that. I thought it was just the measurement of 2 links. (I am probably wrong, that's why I read this stuff. I ask a lot of questions because I sometimes can't sift out the BS from the truth).

That is what I thought as well, do a search, there is sooooooo much info on this site!!!

Oregon's website has a pretty good tool for showing how to measure a chain. 3/8 on a caliper should read .750 and .325 should read .650. Of course it is an eyeball measurement but .100 is a pretty significant amount.

Matt

Thanks Husky and medic! answered my question to a "T"

It cuts great for me, just was wondering though!

Thanks Husky and medic! answered my question to a "T"

It cuts great for me, just was wondering though!

I had the same question a while back and got a lot of the same stuff. I went to the Oregon web site, and got a lot of info. I even contacted them and asked pretty much the same question you did. They explained it pretty well. There is a lot to learn. The folks on this site are very knowledgeable and willing to help. I may try the .325 on my Dolmar one day, but for now the 3/8 is getting the job done, so why spend the money.

Latest posts

Back