Dingos and such

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I've got several jobs lines up that require moving a lot of wood around on the ground some considerable distances. So far, what my helper and I have been doing is bucking everything into firewood sized pieces and either backing a pickup in as close as we can or if we're less fortunate with access using a wheel barrow and in some extreme cases carrying wood out by hand. As one can imagine, this gets old real quick and is very limiting.

A Dingo would be great, but I am nowhere near ready to make that kind of investment. My question is, what type of device or machine bridges the gap between moving stuff by hand or in a wheel barrow/pickup and having a Dingo? Is there some sort of inexpensive motorized pulling device to be had? I've been pondering this quite a bit. I even thought of a quad however I don't see that being very practical and certainly far from professional.

hand trucks (with inflatable tires). they are now made oversized but have always been better than wheelbarrows.

what the majority of guys use who aren't mechanized. get a laborer or two just to move the wood while the climber and ground man keep making messes.:cheers: now you're redneck automated.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Log-Movers

A "Free wood, you haul" ad in Craigslist will work. If you have a Freecycle list in your area that will work also. Not for every situ, I know, but valuable in some.

moterized log hauler

Also can haul limbs in more open spaces not the narrow gates. The manufacturer of these unit have and operate a tree company. Very simple to use unit.

Just rent a mini-skid. They rent around here for $130 a day, get the forks on it or a grapple if they have one and you can move alot of wood quickly.

Well it's no mini skid for sure so the lifting does have to be by hand(I have a mini skid). I spend the day using mine transplanting plants from someone's old house...to their new house. Lots of hand digging and lifting but it sure helped getting plants to and from the dump trailer and around the yard.

What kind of mini skid do you have? Did you get it used or new?

Ok, ok, ok, JK'ing...play on words "help me off the ground" if he got that I though it may help as an add on for the rounds Plas would be moving.

Seriously is the box stationary or is it dump? OH ill just look up dr wagon.

I'm getting a kick out of this thread, plas, :D you're in the biz now less than a year and ready to buy equipment, but you are going to miss out on a valuable lesson. :dunno:

buy some of these and move wood to the truck with em, and when you do
finally buy a loader, you will really appreciate it..........

how a lotta guys got started, and many still do it.
I still have a couple stashed away at my parents house. just need 2 guys to drive em.:laugh:
attachment.php

http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-trucks/standard-hand-trucks/harperphandlehandtruck.cfm

Last edited:
We used to roll and man handle the big rounds. Then we would all lift them or we would push them up ramps into the dump truck. Everyone needs to experience that fun before they get a machine like a dingo so they appreciate it. I wish my guys had the fun of raking chips out of the back of a ford ranger so they appreciated a dump truck. First time I pressed that button to dump it was heavenly. They do love the dingo though.... Mike

We used to roll and man handle the big rounds. Then we would all lift them or we would push them up ramps into the dump truck. Everyone needs to experience that fun before they get a machine like a dingo so they appreciate it. I wish my guys had the fun of raking chips out of the back of a ford ranger so they appreciated a dump truck. First time I pressed that button to dump it was heavenly. They do love the dingo though.... Mike

:agree2:X10

priceless experience bro :cheers:

I'm actually kicking around the idea of a 4x4 quad. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than a Dingo for one. I could tow a nice little trailer with it, use its 3500 pound winch, and plow snow as a bonus. Quads are awesome for laying snow as they are so nimble and can turn around in a fraction of the clearing that a pickup can. There are some tree guys here and there who use quads so I wouldn't look like a complete imbecile, well at least not because of the quad anyway. Some of the accessories available for the modern day quads like the Polaris for example are really, really cool.

Don't forget about tractors. I use a jd 2210 with a front end loader and a boom on the back with skidding tongs. Its no t300 but it gets the job done at a fraction of the cost.​

Latest posts

Back