Dingos and such

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting a kick out of this thread, plas, :D you're in the biz now less than a year and ready to buy equipment, but you are going to miss out on a valuable lesson. :dunno:

buy some of these and move wood to the truck with em, and when you do
finally buy a loader, you will really appreciate it..........

how a lotta guys got started, and many still do it.
I still have a couple stashed away at my parents house. just need 2 guys to drive em.:laugh:
attachment.php

http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-trucks/standard-hand-trucks/harperphandlehandtruck.cfm

We call these puppies fridge trolleys and they are wayyyyyy better than wheelbarrows for moving blocks. We used to cut logs about a foot long for the wheelbarrow but now we cut em 4 foot long. Of course it depends on whether you are chipping the logs or turning the into firewood!

We call these puppies fridge trolleys and they are wayyyyyy better than wheelbarrows for moving blocks. We used to cut logs about a foot long for the wheelbarrow but now we cut em 4 foot long. Of course it depends on whether you are chipping the logs or turning the into firewood!

That hand truck looks really nice. I might order one. Thanks for the info.

I've used one of these on well over 300 removals.
Northern tool tree dolly
After a few years the bearings went so I replaced the wheels and bearings with some from TSC. I use a car hauler trailer so the rear drops down a bit. I welded two small stubs on the back. 'Come up to the back of the trailer, catch the stubs with the dolly, lift the wood on the back of the trailer. If I can get it on the cart I can lift it on the trailer. They look pretty flimsy but I've never had a broken weld so I'd have to say it was a pretty good investment. I've since gone to a Bobcat with a Branch Manager Grapple. The dolly is in my museum of antique tree equipment along side a wax figure of myself. Spend the bucks and make life easier on yourself. Don't abuse yourself with "unnecessary" work
Phil

Sometimes I wonder 'bout you, Plas. In this game for one year and you're already sick of moving wood, eh? I've been cuttin' and rollin', tossin' it on my shoulder and up into the truck for years and I still enjoy it. It's good for you. It'll toughen you up.

Sometimes I wonder 'bout you, Plas. In this game for one year and you're already sick of moving wood, eh? I've been cuttin' and rollin', tossin' it on my shoulder and up into the truck for years and I still enjoy it. It's good for you. It'll toughen you up.

If you saw the job site I'm going to be working on soon you wouldn't wonder. It's an apartment complex, rather large, and we'll be working around the entire perimeter, and there is no truck access. A lot of tonnage has to be moved a large distance in a timely and efficient manner.

If you saw the job site I'm going to be working on soon you wouldn't wonder. It's an apartment complex, rather large, and we'll be working around the entire perimeter, and there is no truck access. A lot of tonnage has to be moved a large distance in a timely and efficient manner.

Someone else said it before but renting for those big jobs is always a great idea. I'll probably be investing in a Dingo myself this year but I've rented one many times in the past. Four wheelers are nice when outfitted with a log arch and can pull a decent sized log out of a yard as long as the trees can come down in big pieces they're useful.

Someone else said it before but renting for those big jobs is always a great idea. I'll probably be investing in a Dingo myself this year but I've rented one many times in the past. Four wheelers are nice when outfitted with a log arch and can pull a decent sized log out of a yard as long as the trees can come down in big pieces they're useful.

Not that this REALLY matters, but do you think it would look unprofessional to be riding an ATV around a job site?

Plasmech, You can find deals on Mini skids right now, I picked one up of Craigslist from a lanscape company needing money.. I got a 2004 Mt52 for $3500 I replaced drive motor seals and had to fix the charging system.. I also painted it and Replaced decals and added a platform.. Hang in there, i loaded big wood by hand for years..you really appreciate something like this when you find one..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

$3500 for a Bobcat? Are you ####ting me? That's awesome man!

Plasmech, You can find deals on Mini skids right now, I picked one up of Craigslist from a lanscape company needing money.. I got a 2004 Mt52 for $3500 I replaced drive motor seals and had to fix the charging system.. I also painted it and Replaced decals and added a platform.. Hang in there, i loaded big wood by hand for years..you really appreciate something like this when you find one..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not that this REALLY matters, but do you think it would look unprofessional to be riding an ATV around a job site?

Yes. I am more worried about my image than most though. To a redneck like myself, four wheelers are just another tool, but I believe city dwellers tend to think they are more for entertainment purposes. JMHO A dingo is much more professional and useful, and as JTina just proved can be purchased relatively cheap. Lotta people goin' under and sellin' their #### right now.

You guys really got your head up your butt. A piece of equipment like a mini is a seriously smart investment for a tree company. Get more work done with less labor.

Purchasing might not be a good idea if you can't make the figures work. If you are paying a bunch of slackers to move wood cut them loose and invest.

Rent what you think will work till you find the right model for your company.
Get a branch manager grapple a mulch bucket and forks when you commit to a machine.

If your able to fix things up, you can find some great deals.. Im a mechanic by trade and love restoring things, so it was a great no brainer deal for me I put less than $200 worth of parts and paint into it not including the Step Up Platform.. Just a couple of weeks labor to get it to what you see in the picks..
You would probably benefit to have a Log Cart from Sherrills or Something of that nature is probably a good option for what your doing now by hand Plasmech..

JT

You guys really got your head up your butt. A piece of equipment like a mini is a seriously smart investment for a tree company. Get more work done with less labor.

That's cute, but no. What specifically about Plas's situation do you think requires he buy a Dingo at this point in time?

If he has steady work then why not. It will pay for itself, don't tell the kid that because he is only a year old company that he should not buy equipment. Have a better reason than just so he appreciates the equipment later. Equipment is a wise choice if you want to be able to last in this industry.

If he has steady work then why not. It will pay for itself, don't tell the kid that because he is only a year old company that he should not buy equipment. Have a better reason than just so he appreciates the equipment later. Equipment is a wise choice if you want to be able to last in this industry.

True, but before I recommend a Dingo I would recommend a ...chipper? ...a bigger truck? ...a stump grinder? ...maybe some advertising? ...or perhaps even a third saw. In my opinion these are much more important than a Dingo.

No offense to you Plas, I didn't have much more than you very long ago either. We all start somewhere.

Well to derail this thread, A dump trailer, mini and a few saws will suit a small outfit very well. Chipper is overated unless you are doing three to four jobs a day or working big removals day in and day out.

That's cute, but no. What specifically about Plas's situation do you think requires he buy a Dingo at this point in time?

If I'm not mistaken, he also has a full time job as an engineer. this is a consuming hobby for him, and while it looks like he is going to be a competent climber, he is putting himself out for advice on this forum.
the comments by myself and others were sarcasm, but still meant to curb the buy buy buy mentality prevalent in small businesses starting out.

Plas, what is your gross income from tree work, without any other sources?
credit level? how much work on the books? how many jobs done in a week?
lotta things that matter, besides not wanting to move heavy wood on a job or two a week.

If you can buy a machine, and want to invest your $$ in a risky business, more power to ya.

:cheers:
Heck, I made ya the mayor.:laugh:

Well to derail this thread, A dump trailer, mini and a few saws will suit a small outfit very well. Chipper is overated unless you are doing three to four jobs a day or working big removals day in and day out.

Sounds great but you need something to pull a dump trailer and Dingo.

A chipper is over rated?

I don't agree. A chipper is much more useful than a mini.

That's the way I see it but I don't want to destroy the Mayor's thread here. Dingos are great but far down on the list IMO.

Latest posts

Back