Dirko HT or equivalent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am acquiring parts for a piston and rings replacement on the 029. Should I just order the Dirko HT or is there another sealant I can safely use?

I would go with the Dirko. Just my opinion.

Whoa, just found out the Dirko HT is like $30 a tube!!!! :dizzy:

Guy from Bailey's said he uses the Permatex Non-Hardening and it works just fine. Someone else on here said they use YamaBond. I think I may be able to get my hands on some of that.

I use Dow Corning 730 or Loctite 574 depending on the application.

What is it? Where do we use it???

Uh, are we sposed to use sealant when we reassemble saws? I put a dab of loctite blue on critical screw threads, but..................:confused:

Or is this in place of the jug gasket to increase compression? J/C:chainsaw:

Whoa, just found out the Dirko HT is like $30 a tube!!!! :dizzy:

Guy from Bailey's said he uses the Permatex Non-Hardening and it works just fine. Someone else on here said they use YamaBond. I think I may be able to get my hands on some of that.

Hmmm I see $16... but... and it's enough for many years...

I really like Dirko. There are plenty of others that will work fine (and I use them now and then), but Dirko has just the right stickyness, open time, etc etc... and Porsche specifies it ;)

Uh, are we sposed to use sealant when we reassemble saws? I put a dab of loctite blue on critical screw threads, but..................:confused:

Or is this in place of the jug gasket to increase compression? J/C:chainsaw:

It's a gasket maker... used on 025/029 (an other) type machines, or when the AS users decide to not use a cylinder gasket..

029 is one strange bird......

It's a gasket maker... used on 025/029 (an other) type machines, or when the AS users decide to not use a cylinder gasket..

Ok, so if I decide to resurrect my eslay 029 Super pooper, I need to use goo on sum mating surfaces. Got it. I will prolly be able to figure out which ones. I must admit, it is a strange saw, although the idea of being able to replace bearings and seals without complex equipment does have a certain appeal....:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Hey, hey, hey... don't bust my stones... Is there a gasket available for the 029??? If there is, I was unaware.

OH, I misread ya, Andy. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:
nope... not for 025/029.... Used on the pro saws when the gasket is left out.

Gotcha. Thanks. Um, where did you get the Dirko? The shop? Places around here want $30 bucks for that tube that is listed on the IPL. :mad:

This little venture to save the 029 is becoming expensive. Yikes

Last edited:
From your Stihl dealer.... part number 0783 830 2200 $16.95 msrp..

A tube will last years if you keep the cap on tight!

permatex

ok, in talking with a certain tech person at Northeast Stihl, red permatex (the high heat stuff) is basically the same stuff. I have used both, with excellent results. Seems like I have had the Dirko for years.

good stuff, either way.

ok, in talking with a certain tech person at Northeast Stihl, red permatex (the high heat stuff) is basically the same stuff. I have used both, with excellent results. Seems like I have had the Dirko for years.

good stuff, either way.

I looked at the red Permatex and it says not to be used in applications where gasoline will come in contact with it. Should I avoid it then?

buy the Dirko then... It's good enough for Stihl and Porsche:greenchainsaw:

Not sure what to say about what you're reading on the Permatex. I've used their Copper high heat stuff and it seems o.k...

buy the Dirko then... It's good enough for Stihl and Porsche:greenchainsaw:

Not sure what to say about what you're reading on the Permatex. I've used their Copper high heat stuff and it seems o.k...

So what's the top secret info on removing that junk and cleaning the surfaces to re-mate the 2 pieces. That Dirko (assume) from a MS290 is some sticky stuff. I've tried scraping and pulling and everything. Doesn't want to let go. I assume the surfaces must be free of any existing before ready for the new application of Dirko. Any details on how to rid the surface of that junk? Sandpaper work?

On my way to the Stihl dealer to see if I can buy some for a mere 16.00. Wonder what my Stihl dealer will mark it up to? I'll let you guys know.

So what's the top secret info on removing that junk and cleaning the surfaces to re-mate the 2 pieces. That Dirko (assume) from a MS290 is some sticky stuff. I've tried scraping and pulling and everything. Doesn't want to let go. I assume the surfaces must be free of any existing before ready for the new application of Dirko. Any details on how to rid the surface of that junk? Sandpaper work?

On my way to the Stihl dealer to see if I can buy some for a mere 16.00. Wonder what my Stihl dealer will mark it up to? I'll let you guys know.

3M pad on an air die grinder works good. I would say no to sandpaper.

Latest posts

Back