Dirt piled at base of my tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have a picture because it was looked quite interesting I thought.

Dirt was piled up about 4' high and 4' radius around the base of one of my app. 16" DBH Virginia pines. I carefully removed it with a shovel and front loader. I imagine it has been there a couple of years at least. When I was removing the pile, the soil was just chock full of healthy roots from the tree. mostly small roots but a couple maybe .5-1".

I hated ripping up the roots but I knew I had no choice. How much did ripping out the roots hurt the tree? The trunk doesn't seem rotten yet. So I am hopeful.

I would compare removing roots to removing branches. A few 1" roots on a 16" tree, no big deal.
Throw down a thin layer of compost and cover with woodchips, both less than 3" total deep. This will help cover the roots left exposed and give the tree some good organic matter. Water if it's dry and anytime it gets real dry for the next few years.

I don't think you hurt anything assuming you meant 16' and not 16". On the other hand I had to dig out around one of my big Red Oaks (40') to put some landscape timbers around it so the wife could have a little flower garden. I had to cut one of the roots (4") to level out the timbers. Needless to say, it was dead within 8 months.

Zack

Latest posts

Back