Dirty Hand Tools Splitter and general splitter questions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maulhead

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying a splitter for the last few seasons. I have always split everything by hand with a maul. I have had my eye on the Dirty Hand Tools line since last year, but never saw one in person. I thought their 28-ton (shopping online) would work best for me, I really like the Kohler Command engines over the Courage.

Today I stopped at the local farm and ranch store for something else. They had the DHT 22-ton and the DHT 35-ton there. Nice looking splitters, first time I've seen them in person. The 22-ton is $999 and the 35-ton is $1699, that is $200 cheaper then anywhere online I have priced them at.

I asked the guy if they had the 28-ton also, he said not in stock, that they only had these two models, but he could make a call on Monday and see if they can get it and get a price for me on the 28-ton. I like the 28-ton the best because it has a 2 second faster cycle time then the 35-ton, but still has the Command engine.

They let me start the two splitters up the 9.5 hp Kohler Command on the 35-ton sounded a LOT smoother and stronger of a engine. The 6.5 hp Kohler Courage on the 22-ton sounded OK, but was kind of rattly and just did not sound as healthy or smooth.

I decided on the way home. I want either the 28-ton pending the price they shoot me on Monday or the 35-ton, as I want one with the 9.5 hp Command, I just think it is a better engine overall.

When I was getting ready to leave the guy told me if I took the 35-ton home today he would knock $100 off the price, I said can you do any better then that, he said he would have to check with the store manger and he would not be back until Monday, he said his offer of $100 off would stand until Monday, and the manger may knock another $50 off of that or may not.

I only need a splitter for my own home use, about 6 cords a year. I want to buy ONE splitter that will last for years. Most of the firewood I bring home is in the 15-20 dia, and is Elm. Once and a while I get some 22-28 dia Elm, but only rarely. I know the 35-on would probably be overkill for my needs, but should last for years to come. I could probably get by with the 22-ton to tell you the truth, but I dont want to just get by. I want something that will spit anything I throw at it.

So my questions are.

Should I go with the 28-ton or the 35-ton? (price is not a real factor) They both have the Command series engine.

Is the extra 7-tons going to make a big difference? Keep in mind I have NEVER owned a splitter. Or will the 28-ton split whatever I throw at it?

Is the 2 second cycle time on the two really going to make that big of a difference in splitting time?

Anything else I should know before I pull the trigger?

They also had a 22-ton speeco there with the briggs on it, sale price of $960, but I really dont like the briggs. So I'm pretty set on the DHT line.

Thanks for your time, and let me know your thoughts. I dont want any regrets on a splitter.

One last thought, maybe if I have the 35-ton I will bring home bigger wood to split ;)

That is a great idea. But I did not go to the store to go splitter shopping, so I did not have any of my firewood with. It is a hours drive one way.

I was really surprised to see the DHT splitters out front when I pulled up, as last time I was there, they did not have DHT splitters. The guy said they just got them 3 or 4 days ago. Not sure which one I will buy, 28T or 35T? Will see if they can get the 28T on Monday and the price they shoot me for it?

That is a great idea. But I did not go to the store to go splitter shopping, so I did not have any of my firewood with. It is a hours drive one way.

I was really surprised to see the DHT splitters out front when I pulled up, as last time I was there, they did not have DHT splitters. The guy said they just got them 3 or 4 days ago. Not sure which one I will buy, 28T or 35T? Will see if they can get the 28T on Monday and the price they shoot me for it?

I imagine either one will be LOADS better over hand splitting elm....just sayin ;)

My experience has been that just about any hydraulic splitter will go through the gnarliest of wood with a little patience. I even used an electric ramsplitter I borrowed from a buddy over 5 years ago and it went through some huge spaghetti elm that I'd mushroomed both ends of bludgeoning it with various mauls that all just bounced. That one was a 16-ton if memory serves.

Is that 2-second cycle time advantage for the same stroke length, or does the larger model have a longer stroke? For my purposes, I'd go with the quicker one, if it's the only difference. The lower price would probably be a decider for me too, but that doesn't sound like a concern for you.

Good luck and get some pics up once you bring one home and put it to use!

Maulhead,

The CH395 Command Pro is a nice engine! Both the 28 and 35 have the same pump, engine, coupler, valve, etc. The 35 ton has a 5" cylinder vs 4.5" on the 28, which is why the cycle time is slightly slower. The 35 ton also has a 9" wedge, and 9" foot plate vs the 8" on the 28 ton. The 35 ton beam is also 2" "taller" in the "I" of the beam along with a bigger cylinder pin to handle the higher force. Personally I think the 28 is the best unit we make, but if your cousin is Tim Allen and you want to show off to the neighbors.....by all means go for the 35 ton. Any of our units will split any kind of wood you'll find in CO. We often import tougher stuff for testing. We would be happy to have you as a customer!

Thanks, for the reply's. The 22 ton would probably suit my needs and split 90% of the wood I brought home, and be better then a maul. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube of 22 ton speeco power through some pretty big wood. Not comparing the speeco to the DHT, just 22 ton to 22 ton

I just really like the bigger engine on the 28 and 35 tons models. No Tim Allen's around here, not any real neighbors either. the closest one is 3 miles away and I only talk to him once a year if that. Just need a good splitter I'm kinda leaning towards the 28 ton, will see what I find out tomorrow.

They also had a 22-ton speeco there with the briggs on it, sale price of $960, but I really dont like the briggs. So I'm pretty set on the DHT line.

I really don't think it matters which one of those Chinese motors you get, whether it says Kohler OR Briggs on it!

SR

I've been thinking about buying a splitter for the last few seasons. I have always split everything by hand with a maul. I have had my eye on the Dirty Hand Tools line since last year, but never saw one in person. I thought their 28-ton (shopping online) would work best for me, I really like the Kohler Command engines over the Courage.

Today I stopped at the local farm and ranch store for something else. They had the DHT 22-ton and the DHT 35-ton there. Nice looking splitters, first time I've seen them in person. The 22-ton is $999 and the 35-ton is $1699, that is $200 cheaper then anywhere online I have priced them at.

I asked the guy if they had the 28-ton also, he said not in stock, that they only had these two models, but he could make a call on Monday and see if they can get it and get a price for me on the 28-ton. I like the 28-ton the best because it has a 2 second faster cycle time then the 35-ton, but still has the Command engine.

They let me start the two splitters up the 9.5 hp Kohler Command on the 35-ton sounded a LOT smoother and stronger of a engine. The 6.5 hp Kohler Courage on the 22-ton sounded OK, but was kind of rattly and just did not sound as healthy or smooth.

I decided on the way home. I want either the 28-ton pending the price they shoot me on Monday or the 35-ton, as I want one with the 9.5 hp Command, I just think it is a better engine overall.

When I was getting ready to leave the guy told me if I took the 35-ton home today he would knock $100 off the price, I said can you do any better then that, he said he would have to check with the store manger and he would not be back until Monday, he said his offer of $100 off would stand until Monday, and the manger may knock another $50 off of that or may not.

I only need a splitter for my own home use, about 6 cords a year. I want to buy ONE splitter that will last for years. Most of the firewood I bring home is in the 15-20 dia, and is Elm. Once and a while I get some 22-28 dia Elm, but only rarely. I know the 35-on would probably be overkill for my needs, but should last for years to come. I could probably get by with the 22-ton to tell you the truth, but I dont want to just get by. I want something that will spit anything I throw at it.

So my questions are.

Should I go with the 28-ton or the 35-ton? (price is not a real factor) They both have the Command series engine.

Is the extra 7-tons going to make a big difference? Keep in mind I have NEVER owned a splitter. Or will the 28-ton split whatever I throw at it?

Is the 2 second cycle time on the two really going to make that big of a difference in splitting time?

Anything else I should know before I pull the trigger?

Thanks for your time, and let me know your thoughts. I dont want any regrets on a splitter.

One last thought, maybe if I have the 35-ton I will bring home bigger wood to split ;)
I'd go with the 35 ton(I already have one,a husky with a Briggs engine and am totaly happy with it.)I also have a 20 ton Brave.I've seen some elm stall out the 20 toner but barely slow down the 35 toner.The extra grunt is great to have.You won't notice the longer cycle time if you don't fully retract the ram.

I have the DHT 27 ton, and it has split everything I've put in front of it, with one exception, I have some unidentified wood, about 28"in diameter, my assumption is elm, but no bark or leaves left, but that is the only thing that has stopped my 27 ton. And by stopped I mean when trying to split a full round of that it literally went in about two inches and just stopped. Once I noodled those big rounds in half it was no problem. Its worth noting that this was in May, I split a few of the same rounds in February when it was below freezing and they popped apart fine.

Outside of that one lone tree, big shagbark hickory rounds, black locust, and a whole lot of ash haven't caused a hiccup.

;)

I used to have a 22ton Swisher and I've used a buddies 22ton Speeco (w Honda GX200) quite a bit before that. I just (yesterday) picked up a 22 ton DHT because I liked the fact it comes with a 13GPM pump (vs 11GPM on Swisher and Speeco). It has a built in log cradle (Swisher doesn't). And it includes a log catcher (Swisher and Speeco don't). I assembled and ran it last night and did not notice the engine roughness but I don't have another to compare side by side. I have some Chinese Elm to process which will be a nice initial test.

I've never had any problems splitting Elm, wet, 30" diameter twisty grain cottonwood, or any other hard to split stuff on either of the 22 ton units although the Swisher required a bit more patience. I did run into a problem with a wicked crotched piece of elm one time and that's it. That being said, if my budget would have included the 35ton then I would have went with the 35ton because more power is always nice but based on previous experience, I expect to have no problems with the 22ton unit.

the 22-28 ton is more than enough force, stringy wood like Elm is better served by a thin wedge rather than a fast spreading one. With any of vertical /horz units be a bit careful if getting into something that does want to split pretty quick as it is easy to bend the foot plate and spring the beam if you force it to much on the 28T and above units.

I started this thread back in July. Just in case anyone was wondering? I ended up buying the DHT 28-ton splitter. I drove (seeing I live in CO) right to DHT in Louisville CO and picked it up new in the crate. Assembly was pretty straight forward, it took me and my 8 year old daughter just under an hour and 1/2, from the time we opened the crate to the time it was ready to split. I'm glad I went with the 28-ton, for a few reasons, 1 to get the larger 9.5 hp Kohler engine (the drain plug is right at the front of the engine mounting plate, so no oil flow back when changing the oil, like on the smaller splitters with the 6.5 hp Kohler engines) and 2 I just wanted a splitter with larger tonnage rating then the 22-ton, for some of the larger wood I bring home.

During assembly I left the log table off as I thought it might get in the way, when splitting in the vertical position. I wanted to split up a bunch of the larger rounds I had waiting 1st, before I put the log table on and split with it in the horizontal position. Also during assembly took off the plastic tube where you store the owners manual on the tongue. I figured I would smack it or break off it while towing the splitter around the yard/wood pile. Neat feature,, I just chose to take it off.

Here are a few pics of the splitter. So far I am VERY happy with the splitter. Engine starts very easy, half choke, half throttle, has always started on the 1st pull for cold starts. It was down to 35 degrees here last week two nights in a row, it started very easy those mornings, half choke, half throttle, one pull, then I bump the choke off. Very smooth running, easy starting engine!!

I have always used a maul and wedges in the past, so the splitter is a VERY welcomed thing here. So far I have ran 8 cords through it. 6 cords of Hackberry and 2 cords of Elm, ranging anywhere from 10" up to 30" in DIA. It has PLOWED through everything I have put on it!!! I could NOT be more happy with its performance. It sure cuts down on my splitting time at the wood pile!!! More wood split wood in less time.

Here are some pics,,,, enjoy!!

DSCN8804.JPG

DSCN8805.JPG

DSCN8814.JPG

DSCN8816.JPG

DSCN8821.JPG

I'm pleased with my 28 ton DHT. It handily splits locust and elm without problems. Really suprises people. "Here...this one will work it hard.", but doesn't :)

Latest posts

Back