Dirty Wood...and I'm not talking VD...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
PB210908_small.jpg

How do you deal with it?

Rolled the log after starting the cuts, and I'm thinking either my hatchet or light (2-1/4# I think) ax to clean off the bark then finish my cuts? I'm just loathe to cut through that stuff with a chain.

I don't usually have to deal with dirty wood. I normally fall & block where I drop the trees in my woodlot, so at most I usually have of the fluffier "duff" the earthworms leave behind if I don't get to blocking it up right away. Not great, but not mineral soil either.

But I'm moving into a section of the hillside it'll be easier for me to pull the logs up to even ground (that's a different post I'll make later) so I'm going to encounter this a bit more.

Curse, grit teeth, pull throttle trigger, dress chain later.

with dirty wood , and im not talking about vd! i will try and keep the heavest dirty side towards my legs as the chain will clean the dirt away from the cut rather then drag it through the cut.. when the whole log is dirt junk i will lift it upon a couple old roten pieces of wood to let the rain was it clean for another day! not worth dulling a chain !

I keep a small broom in my truck. Worst case scenario I'll use my snow brush or even just brush as much as you can get off with your gloves. You already know where your cuts will be so you only have to clear off about an inch wide path, tuck the saw into the cut, squeeze the trigger and lift it up.

Me too actually, and I almost always carry the hatchet or an axe with me. Good for knocking the poison ivy off too.

I brush as much off as I can with my glove and use a hard (like Stihl brand) semi-chisel chain filed to a top plate angle of 30 degrees.
You'd be surprised how much abuse a top-grade, hard steel, semi-chisel chain will take.
Ido the same but I cut around the dirty stuff buck every thing else then come back to the dirty stuff for my last cuts then go sharpen and start all over.

Broom, hand held stiff bristle scrub brush,, steel grill brush, last resort ya, whack at it with your grade C axe.

I've been gradually debarking a huge hickory because it was wall to wall freeking rocks and dirt under the bark. It is broke off up high and just the very end is in the ground, so for the past year I have been gradually getting the bark off of it whenever I go for a walk near it. It's almost done! I just always carry my generic axe when out walking and whack at it, then grab and peel. Man it's purty and hardly any dirt left. that's gonna be fun to buck up!

For your logs, broom it off, cuts from the other side down to the dirt, then roll it over, swap out to your crap chain and finish the job.

You could always, if you have a way to load them, drag home whole logs and pressure wash them first...just a thought.

If I have to cut it right away I also just give it a quick wipe with a glove and cut if I have others logs there. I'll move it to a differt spot with dirt side up and wait for a rainy day. To clean it off. Ya I'm lazy.

I grab handfuls of sawdust- noodled or otherwise, in a gloved hand and rub it on the dirt. A little extra effort saves a lot of sharp steel.
Try it- it works great.

If it is handy, I'll knock it off with a axe. Being blessed with several saws, one will usually have a chain on it that is on it's last sharpening, that is what those chains are for. In most instances by the time you can get a broom, axe, or mess around removing it you can spend the same time throwing an old chain on the saw and just cut away.

I hate to drag stuff but sometimes its just what you have to do. A couple of opposing limbs will keep the dirt on just one side. A saw set up with a clapped out semi chisel is one way to finish or start. Try and make the dirty cuts wher it don't drag it tru, boring or other adjs as needed.

Chain for dirty wood

I hate to drag stuff but sometimes its just what you have to do. A couple of opposing limbs will keep the dirt on just one side. A saw set up with a clapped out semi chisel is one way to finish or start. Try and make the dirty cuts wher it don't drag it tru, boring or other adjs as needed.

JW- For us newbies out here, where would one find such a chain? I'm not famililar enough with different chain types and specs.

Thanks!:bowdown:

You win ten internets!!!

Stihl BR 400 Leaf Blower + wife's discarded kitchen broom does wonders !!

I think a blower is the best idea I have heard yet. I got a free one I never even tried to get going because I don't use them, but for dirty wood cleaning..I'm a gonna give it a whack!

JW- For us newbies out here, where would one find such a chain? I'm not famililar enough with different chain types and specs.

Thanks!:bowdown:
Aw shucks there sbows, you don't buy clapped out, you make it. You just bring me any you got and after i find sum wire and a few sandstones it'll be properly clapped out.

Aw shucks there sbows, you don't buy clapped out, you make it. You just bring me any you got and after i find sum wire and a few sandstones it'll be properly clapped out.

Thanks for the schoolin' JW. Might take you up on the offer. In the meantime, Pootang Reps coming your way.
Sorry, didn't mean to Jack the thread.

Back