Disadvantages of mods....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Neb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I read all the time about how great modifications are, but are there any disadvantages?

Muffler mod?

Port mod?

Other mods I don't know about?

I read all the time about how great modifications are, but are there any disadvantages?

Muffler mod?

Port mod?

Other mods I don't know about?

A muffler mod makes the saw louder. My 066 is louder than heck.

Done right, I don't know of any downside to a port mod. Some may shorten up the power band more than others, but they help the saw breathe better.

Mark

Disadvantages......noisey, one of my saws needs race fuel ($6.79 a gallon), Square files are $7.00 each, you will never be satisfied with a stock saw again.....

HOT ROD IT!!!:rock:

Last edited:
Depends on what you want the saw for

Muffler mod, aside from the guaranteed noise increase is an easy way of getting 15 - 20% decrease in cut times. Make sure you have a fully adjustable carb (both H and L speed) before you go there as you will have to retune your saw after mods to prevent possibly too lean condition. The adjustability of your carb is important before any mods, even so some carbs will need redrilling or changing of jets to bring in range especially as you get more drastic with mods.
If you are milling or stump cutting at all, most of the common "speed" oriented mods(other than muffler) could be death to your saw, but if you are competing at ANY level, mods are the only way to go. Conservative mods usually dont have much negative to them but since you are taking more power out of the saw you want to be carefull of anything that would lead to heating, like lugging, accumulated dirt on fins or filter, running lean, poor fuel etc.The modded saw needs more respect.

I believe the higher the compression and the more fuel you get into and out of the chamber the hotter the saw will run. To gain something you will always loose something some where.

The biggest problem with modding is that your saw will last longer because more heat is released. Therefore it will take forever before you can justify buying another saw.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Muffler mod?
A muffler mod without a spark arrester might not allow you to cut in state or federal lands, but muf. mods. done properly will give a good power increase.

The major draw back is that your friends will wan't you to start modding there saws, FOR FREEE.... Don't do it, make em pay.

Disadvantages......noisey, one of my saws needs race fuel ($6.79 a gallon), Square files are $7.00 each, you will never be satisfied with a stock saw again.....

HOT ROD IT!!!:rock:
Hey Trout,
Speaking of mods, hows the ZUKI coming?

The major draw back is that your friends will wan't you to start modding there saws, FOR FREEE.... Don't do it, make em pay.

HAHAHAHA.

I was thinking about sending you a cr250 for you to do for me. Is that a no.:biggrinbounce2:

Fred

Are you talking about having a saw modded or modding one yourself.....

there are plenty of things you or anyone else that can be screwed up by someone that doesn't know a little about them....

But if someone reputable does them, there aren't many drawbacks other than increases noise. You should still be wearing hearing protection, anyways....

Not cool, I love helping my friends find the true capabilities of their saws. That is what friends are for, not to mention some friends insist on giving you beer when you refuse their money. Then you know you have a true friend.:cheers:

Hey Trout,
Speaking of mods, hows the ZUKI coming?

Slow, but steady...I cut down my bar today. I'm using 84 drive links of .404 x .063 and a 14 pin sprocket. We got some nice weather and I've been outside carving (I posted some pics in the carving forum), kinda slowed the bikesaw project a bit...

Back