Disc vs drum chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer to use

• Total voters
Reaction score
I canna seem to like the newer drum chippers, all others seem to be enjoying them but I don't.
Is it me or are they better than old disc or is it an industry fashion cycle.
Me thinks the new drums weigh more the chips are nay as good & pain to change knife and mainatain vs. the old disc easy maintenance lighter weight and nice chips not smashed fluffy trash i had today.

vermeer drum 18" was popular thats why the others followed,I think HP is more important.

Drums easy knive change,but they are heavy.

Ive got both..disc for me other than the knife change.

vermeer drum 18" was popular thats why the others followed,I think HP is more important.

Drums easy knive change,but they are heavy.

Ive got both..disc for me other than the knife change.

I've used both & gonna have a crack at a brand new 12 inch drum bandit n hoping it will change my mind but was looking at the chip from it and twas fluffy smashed not nice chip at all. You reckon the chip/mulch quality is better from Disc or Drum, i say disc.

The weight and extra length needed of drum rig keeps me doubting they are that better but the industry say nay as all are buying big heavy long & expensive drums now.

I've used both & gonna have a crack at a brand new 12 inch drum bandit n hoping it will change my mind but was looking at the chip from it and twas fluffy smashed not nice chip at all. You reckon the chip/mulch quality is better from Disc or Drum, i say disc.

The weight and extra length needed of drum rig keeps me doubting they are that better but the industry say nay as all are buying big heavy long & expensive drums now.

ive always though drum made a lot better chip as disk tends to shred more... your knives sharp and cutter bar adjusted right?

ive always though drum made a lot better chip as disk tends to shred more... your knives sharp and cutter bar adjusted right?

Really, my observation are the opposite & yep the knifes are anvil set is good as twas a 2 week old rig. The extreme example is I used a Asplunda whisper drum chipper for 2 years and it just made hay fluff you'd fill a bin twice as fast with half as much of crap shreds n ha twice the fuel as a diesel. I keep being told how good these new drums are but I am yet to be convinced. Guess I need to spend some more time on them but any with them vertical feed wheels are a PITA .

i wouldnt hesitate to buy another disk the only reason my next one will be a drum is they just seem faster to me. ive never seen one make worse chips than a disk tho? HP is definetly more important because you can get a 12" chipper or a 18" with the same motor in it. If i was buying something in the 18" size id want 200 or more hp.

Your not really limited tho Brush bandit Still offers alot of models in disk and drum.

I like disc chippers. Changing the knives is a harder task, but they will almost never get clogged up. I have (by accident) ran pond mud through a 14" bandit. It was the bottom tree in the pile and didn't notice it. Where the bandit 1890 would get clogged if it started to sprinkle out with a leafy maple. Motor for motor, I feel a disc will always chip faster. That being said. I am very happy with my 570 Conehead.

used both drum and disc, looking at buying a 990xp.

a disc with same hp as same size drum will chip WAY faster on straight long wood, where the drum will start to claw it back is with branches and twisted wood as the drum rotating helps pull material in.

Disk allows a more compact machine, drum a lighter one. HP is king DCell is best if you are chipping big wood, they do not lug down as easy as gas engines.

For me the dimensions of the infeed are more important then the cutting system.

Disk allows a more compact machine, drum a lighter one. HP is king DCell is best if you are chipping big wood, they do not lug down as easy as gas engines.

For me the dimensions of the infeed are more important then the cutting system.

Yep the morbark 2400/M18 has an awesome infeed,I cannot understand why the other manufacturers dont.

I have a bandit 280HD disc as well.

I really like my new 990xp, of course i'm going from a chuck and duck so I really can't tell you wehter disc is better than drum. I like the easyness of changing the blades and adjusting the anvil. The 990's drum is exceptionally large for a 12" chipper which makes it handle larger dia stuff. It also relatively light and compact so getting it into tight spots is easy. The 85hp desiel engine is plenty strong enough to handle bigger wood since it has the auto feed system. Overall im am pleased with this chipper and would recomend it to anyone who wants a small chipper the still has balls.

The infeed on my Conehead 570 is 32x22. Theres not too much that doesn't fit. The feed rollers are also closer to the drum than any other chipper I have owned. Which makes things jam up much less.

A disc machine will walk all over a drum machine with the same HP , and there is alot less violent impact with the disc machines you are loading the material to the cutter at a 45* angle instead of straight in , just my opinion the 1800 had a lot more problems over time then the 1230 and it has had a somewhat easy life

I think you guys are being stupid about faster this and better that. My 990XP will keep 2 guys sweating like fat drunks all day long how much faster do you need to be? As for chip quality who the f..k cares just get em' into the truck and be done with it. What a bunch of egotistical moronship I am reading here. The straight answer to the original question is they are both good. They both work fine as they are intended to if well maintained. My chipper this and my chipper that is nothing more than little boys measuring up at the urinal. Grow up it's a chipper not a penis.

I think you guys are being stupid about faster this and better that. My 990XP will keep 2 guys sweating like fat drunks all day long how much faster do you need to be? As for chip quality who the f..k cares just get em' into the truck and be done with it. What a bunch of egotistical moronship I am reading here. The straight answer to the original question is they are both good. They both work fine as they are intended to if well maintained. My chipper this and my chipper that is nothing more than little boys measuring up at the urinal. Grow up it's a chipper not a penis.

Or in your case a vagina .... Just kidding you put Vagina out there and opened yourself up "literally" for that one

How do you really feel :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Or in your case a vagina .... Just kidding you put Vagina out there and opened yourself up "literally" for that one

I didn't mention vagina anywhere in my statement. And I am personally quite happy about my manhood thank you. I am merely suggesting that comparing things that can obviously out perform the user is moot. It becomes a ( mine is bigger than yours game ) useless for describing the advantages or disadvantages of a tool. Oh and my insult was not aimed at somebody it was a general observation. If you feel as though it was aimed at you maybe you don't feel comfortable with something. I take your comment as a defense mechanism not a rebuttal.

Thats funny your the only one who's acting like a whining 4 yr old. He ask the question we are giving our opinion. I could care less if you think your chippers better than mine. Thats not the point I was trying to make so stick a sock in it! douche!

Chip quality may not mean anything to some, and that's fine, however, when you're in an area where it can be beneficial to be able to get rid of it as a marketable product, it can make a big difference. Even if it mean just getting people to take it.

I think that one of the most notable chippers in my opinion are the bandits with the 37" hybrid wheel, starting with the 1390xp model. It's sort of a cross between a classic drum or disc.

drum_diagram.jpg

Other than that, I've run an old diesel power chuck and duck, a cat powered 06 versmeer 1400xl, and own a 98 woodchuck wc17 with the ford 6, which does a really nice job all around and maintains a great deal of simplicity. If I have my way I might just keep it as a backup once I move on to a bandit 1390xp.

So then I suppose disk vs drum is really a question, and function, of various parameters.

Latest posts

Back