dishwasher use for cleaning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acme0007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the use of a dishwaser to clean up saws to me ?
Does it melt the plastic, what kind of soap? do you need to remove the muffler or other parts. I am worried about melting some of the plastic and getting water inside the saw.
I know you take the bar and chain off and drain fuel and oil.
Are you supposed to let the dishwasher run through it's drying cycle.
I have access to used washers from remodel jobs I do in the winter. I can just hook them up in the shop easily.
I figure that the guys treat saws better when they look new. Also I have found out that customers view you as more professional if you keep things clean and looking good.:greenchainsaw:

Don't use the dry cycle... open it hot and they dry in minutes anyhow.

Water based transmission cleaner works great. it's what's used in Cuda's etc.

If you're married, borrow someone elses dishwaher.

Does it melt the plastic, what kind of soap? do you need to remove the muffler or other parts. I am worried about melting some of the plastic and getting water inside the saw.
I have access to used washers from remodel jobs I do in the winter. I can just hook them up in the shop easily.
I figure that the guys treat saws better when they look new. Also I have found out that customers view you as more professional if you keep things clean and looking good.:greenchainsaw:

I don't know if putting the whole saw in the dishwasher is a good idea. But for pieces and parts it works real well.

I would not put an entire saw in a dishwasher. You'll have water in places that you won't get it out. Not good. The most that I well leave assembled is the crankcase and cylinder. I then use a flat plate of steel and piece of rubber inner tube to block the exhaust, and another piece to clamp the intake closed. Don't forget to leave the spark plug on and close the decomp. I still immediately pull the cylinder and flush the crank case to make sure there's no residual moisture in the bearings. They will begin rusting right away. It's best if you can split the cases and remove the crank though. Dry all parts immediately. I use regular dishwashing detergent, Cascade Complete I think. It will corrode plated steel parts like bar guides. It wipes right off though.

I wouldn't wash the entire saw--it's best to break it down to parts, and even if you carefully seal the ports of the motor assembly, I would be real leery of water somehow finding it's way in.

I know I'll get hammered, but the dishwasher method won't get really dirty parts--parts that have been dirty for long time--entirely clean. I split my time between two homes, and neither one of my dishwashers have impressed me with cleaning saw parts...........Yes, they are perfectly fine dishwashers;)

I use a parts washer at one place, but at the other place a small, galvanized tub with a gallon or so of paint thinner, and a parts brush, does the best job of cleaning. Plus paint thinner doesn't rust steel parts, instead it protects them. And if a small amount of thnner gets into the cylinder, it doesn't hurt a thing......

If you're just trying to clean a saw at the end of the week, a couple cans of engine degreaser from Wally World and a judicious use of a water hose, compressed air to blow the water off, does about as good a job as anything to maintaining clean saws.

Casey

reply to dishwasher

:dizzy:Thanks for the insight guys!!! I was going to wash the whole saw! ouch:censored: I'll just stick to the simple green and a hose/air nozzle.

P.S. how do I add my saw list to my posts?
over and out.

Just put all the pieces of my project RA through the dishwasher at the shop today and already have them glass beaded, sanded and etch primed. I had used a new citrus degreaser on everything prior to using the shop dishwasher and removing paint was not a problem, did not seem to harm the paint at all but the dishwasher took some off but not too bad. The blast cabinet completed the removal and there will be picts up on the Pioneer chainsaws site in the next couple of days.
Pioneerguy600

I only use the dishwasher for parts that I'm going to paint, the dishwasher detergent I use is very corrosive it will dull good paintwork in no time at all.

Latest posts

Back