Do any stoves last longer than 24 hours on a fill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and no. She is a train wreak. Not quite bipolar, as Olyman's luck had it. She is a weed addict, and almost always high. Or wanting to get high. As a friend said, "They are superficial when they are stoned, and when they are straight they are usually irritated and wanting to get stoned." But she was very attractive and really good in the sack. :pingpong:
and there are, varying stages of bipolar. guess where these were??? :dizzy:

i have never seen one , the best any of my stoves do is about 4 to 6 hours on a packed load ....
What shape is your door gasket in? My burn time more than doubled just by putting in a new 5/8" gasket. It's a big saving on the wood as well.
John

It depends on several things.. mild temps and heater full of dried bodock.. 24 hrs no prob bob.. 10 degrees and green popular... you'll be filling it every 4 hours.. there is no answer to your question..

What shape is your door gasket in? My burn time more than doubled just by putting in a new 5/8" gasket. It's a big saving on the wood as well.
John
i just replaced all three of them this season , i have old cast iron plate stoves and one is a cookstove , none are close to airtight ...

and there are, varying stages of bipolar. guess where these were??? :dizzy:

The ex is not bipolar. My mother is though, and so was my grandmother. So I know the ups and downs of the manic depressive bipolar stuff. I thought that the ex was bipolar at first, but she never had any manic episodes like my mom or grandmother. She does have suicidal tendencies like my mother has though. I got her to see a shrink for about a year and he agreed with me. I think she has OCD and multiple personality disorder. Though that might just be the changes in her persona depending on if she is stoned or not. Dr. Jekyl and Ms. Hyde. She agreed to stop smoking pot, but then I saw her light up as soon as she headed into town in her car. That was the last straw for me. There is an endless supply of that stuff in southern Oregon, so I could not stop her from getting it. Train wreak, lost cause, and all he rest. Moved out.

I sorta understand why they outlawed OWB. There is a restaurant here in town that heats that way and sometimes there's a huge inverted cloud of smoke hovering over. Almost as though the whole place was on fire.

I called and talked to the state DEQ about the ban. There were no excessive complaints or issues with OWBs burning in Oregon. There are just not that many in this state. They banned boilers here because they filed a law suit with 11 other states against the EPA to come up with a regulatory standard for wood boilers. Oregon also banned IWBs, which are much cleaner in general. WA also has technically banned OWBs, as they have the same standards there as wood stoves, and no one has come up with a clean enough one to sell there yet. There is one IWB that qualifies in Washington made there by Greenwood, but even that one is banned here in Oregon. All pellet stoves and boilers are exempt, as are all masonry fireplaces. Pellet manufacturing is big business on Oregon. So the wood boiler ban is just political BS.

OWBs can burn cleanly if you use seasoned wood and do not burn tires, railroad ties or garbage. Some people burn everything in them though, including diapers and used motor oil. The OWB that I installed at the ex's place was a Central Boiler and it had a natural draft into a tree stand where no one lived. It smoked less than my wood stove does here, actually. My ex's place is really remote and her property was over 100 acres, adjoining 1000+ acre forest tracts on 3 sides. there were only 4 neighbors within sight of that place and they all burned wood for heat as well. No one cared about the OWB smoke. Far more smoke there from slash burns after the many logging operations, and you have to burn slash here by law. Which is one of several insane factors in Oregon clean air initiatives. They allow the grass seed companies to burn in the Willamette Valley in the late summer, and state law requires that log slash be burned during the rainy season. Last year the slash burns actually started a half dozen forest fires in Oregon in January, it was really dry. Never mind all the forest fires and smoke here in summer.

The ex is not bipolar. My mother is though, and so was my grandmother. So I know the ups and downs of the manic depressive bipolar stuff. I thought that the ex was bipolar at first, but she never had any manic episodes like my mom or grandmother. She does have suicidal tendencies like my mother has though. I got her to see a shrink for about a year and he agreed with me. I think she has OCD and multiple personality disorder. Though that might just be the changes in her persona depending on if she is stoned or not. Dr. Jekyl and Ms. Hyde. She agreed to stop smoking pot, but then I saw her light up as soon as she headed into town in her car. That was the last straw for me. There is an endless supply of that stuff in southern Oregon, so I could not stop her from getting it. Train wreak, lost cause, and all he rest. Moved out.
in muh case, moving aint a option...business....

I have not seen any stoves that claim anywhere near a 24 hour burn time. When I was researching new stoves last year, the best claims I saw for the larger EPA cat and non-cat stoves that I recall was about 10 hours or so. My stove, a Jotul Oslo, has a 70K btu output and will burn for about 8 hours on a full load of oak at a reduced output.

I would think to get really long burn times you would need a very large stove. The problem is that if the stove gets too big, it will heat you right out of the room it is in. Maybe if someone developed an auto wood loader that would solve the problem.

Tom

Ya....It's called a pellet stove

I would think to get really long burn times you would need a very large stove.
Size has nothing to do with burn time... if all else remains the same, a stick of wood will take x-amount of time to burn whether it as 3, 6, 9, or 20 other pieces around it. A long burn time is accomplished by simply reducing the incoming air to a minimum trickle... and it won't matter cold owl squat how big the box is (or at least it won't matter enough to notice). A bigger box just means more heat from a smoldering fire (because more wood is burning at any given point)... but it doesn't effect burn time.

Burn time and heating time are two separate things... you can increase the burn time of any box by reducing the air, but it may not supply enough heat for your needs at such a low setting. A long burn time does not equal efficiency. And speaking of efficiency... combustion efficiency does not equal heating efficiency either... also two separate things. Combustion efficiency is a measurement of how much of the fuel is consumed (i.e., fewer particulates exiting the stack)... it has absolutely nothing to do with heating efficiency.

You can have a box rated at 99% combustion efficient, but if it sends 50% of the heat out the stack you're still gonna' burn a ton of wood to stay warm. Heating efficiency is a measurement of how much of the generated heat is not lost out the stack (i.e., transferred into the space it is intended to heat). Gas and oil furnaces are rated on heating efficiency (the ratio of BTU input and BTU loss out the stack), wood-fired appliances are rated on combustion efficiency... it's important to remember that. Higher combustion efficiency does not mean more heat in your home, it simply means less smoke from the stack... nothing more.

Size has nothing to do with burn time... if all else remains the same, a stick of wood will take x-amount of time to burn whether it as 3, 6, 9, or 20 other pieces around it. A long burn time is accomplished by simply reducing the incoming air to a minimum trickle... and it won't matter cold owl squat how big the box is (or at least it won't matter enough to notice). A bigger box just means more heat from a smoldering fire (because more wood is burning at any given point)... but it doesn't effect burn time.

Burn time and heating time are two separate things... you can increase the burn time of any box by reducing the air, but it may not supply enough heat for your needs at such a low setting. A long burn time does not equal efficiency. And speaking of efficiency... combustion efficiency does not equal heating efficiency either... also two separate things. Combustion efficiency is a measurement of how much of the fuel is consumed (i.e., fewer particulates exiting the stack)... it has absolutely nothing to do with heating efficiency.

You can have a box rated at 99% combustion efficient, but if it sends 50% of the heat out the stack you're still gonna' burn a ton of wood to stay warm. Heating efficiency is a measurement of how much of the generated heat is not lost out the stack (i.e., transferred into the space it is intended to heat). Gas and oil furnaces are rated on heating efficiency (the ratio of BTU input and BTU loss out the stack), wood-fired appliances are rated on combustion efficiency... it's important to remember that. Higher combustion efficiency does not mean more heat in your home, it simply means less smoke from the stack... nothing more.

I don't completely agree with your statement that "size doesn't equal longer burn times"
More wood will equal longer burns. That is a fact.
But maybe you were meaning that you can get "extended" burn times by lowering the incoming air. Which is true.
Combustion rates (times) are based on three things....Amount of fuel being burned, Amount of oxygen being used, and Amount of flame being used.
It's all basic Physics that we learn in school (yes, I paid attention in those classes...lol)
Obviously if you have more or less of any of these, it will affect the burn time.
And obviously there are other factors at work to decrease or increase the heat that we get from our woodstoves.

I called and talked to the state DEQ about the ban. There were no excessive complaints or issues with OWBs burning in Oregon. There are just not that many in this state. They banned boilers here because they filed a law suit with 11 other states against the EPA to come up with a regulatory standard for wood boilers. Oregon also banned IWBs, which are much cleaner in general. WA also has technically banned OWBs, as they have the same standards there as wood stoves, and no one has come up with a clean enough one to sell there yet. There is one IWB that qualifies in Washington made there by Greenwood, but even that one is banned here in Oregon. All pellet stoves and boilers are exempt, as are all masonry fireplaces. Pellet manufacturing is big business on Oregon. So the wood boiler ban is just political BS.

OWBs can burn cleanly if you use seasoned wood and do not burn tires, railroad ties or garbage. Some people burn everything in them though, including diapers and used motor oil. The OWB that I installed at the ex's place was a Central Boiler and it had a natural draft into a tree stand where no one lived. It smoked less than my wood stove does here, actually. My ex's place is really remote and her property was over 100 acres, adjoining 1000+ acre forest tracts on 3 sides. there were only 4 neighbors within sight of that place and they all burned wood for heat as well. No one cared about the OWB smoke. Far more smoke there from slash burns after the many logging operations, and you have to burn slash here by law. Which is one of several insane factors in Oregon clean air initiatives. They allow the grass seed companies to burn in the Willamette Valley in the late summer, and state law requires that log slash be burned during the rainy season. Last year the slash burns actually started a half dozen forest fires in Oregon in January, it was really dry. Never mind all the forest fires and smoke here in summer.
Ya, the restaurant I spoke of is of chinese cuisine, so I'm sure they were burning French fry oil and table scraps.
Yes, your right, wild fire produces more smoke than all the stoves can produce just as pine beetles can kill more timber than any logger could log.
John

In a lot of ways, it's better to live in a poorly insulated shack because you can raise the temp from 32 to 72 in 30 minutes, whereas a well insulated 3000 sq. foot house may take 8 hrs. to accomplish the same thing an a lot more wood.
There was an old guy up here who's dead now lived in two refrigerator boxes. Anyway someone came to visit him and thought he wasn't home so when he saw him again he asked him where he was. The old guy said he was home but he must have been in the other room. Lol
John

In a lot of ways, it's better to live in a poorly insulated shack because you can raise the temp from 32 to 72 in 30 minutes, whereas a well insulated 3000 sq. foot house may take 8 hrs. to accomplish the same thing an a lot more wood.
There was an old guy up here who's dead now lived in two refrigerator boxes. Anyway someone came to visit him and thought he wasn't home so when he saw him again he asked him where he was. The old guy said he was home but he must have been in the other room. Lol
John

I hope the part in bold is true lol.

More wood will equal longer burns. That is a fact.
No... it is not a fact.
If all else remains equal (such as stove settings), a 16 inch long three sided split (say, 3x3x3) is gonna' take x-amount of time to burn and it don't matter cold owl squat how many other splits you pack in the box with it... but a larger split, (say, 16x5x5x5) will burn longer than the smaller. The reason you may get longer burns from a full firebox is because it's putting out more heat (because more individual pieces of wood are burning) so you choke the air back... it burns longer because you choke back the air, not because there's more pieces of wood in the box. And when you choke back the air, your (so-called) efficiency (in this case combustion efficiency) falls way off... there ain't no friggin' magic.

I had one of those top loading "hippy killers" and I noticed that if put the largest round that would fit on its end it would burn/smoulder a lot longer.
I think this was because all annular rings were burning from the end up as opposed to one annular ring at a time.
I think they called them hippy killers because the lid tended to blow off if it wasn't weighted down.
John

Ya, the restaurant I spoke of is of chinese cuisine, so I'm sure they were burning French fry oil and table scraps.
Yes, your right, wild fire produces more smoke than all the stoves can produce just as pine beetles can kill more timber than any logger could log.
John

Yah, I have some pine beetle damage here now in my lodgepole pines. I may have to drop the ones near the house because of them. Fires also typically burn about as much land area as fallers log around here. And combined, all the beetle kill snags in western North America are going to cause a lot of massive fires. They already have around San Diego and Colorado.

Latest posts

Back