Do I need a bigger tractor to haul wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice little tractor there! Looks like a Low Boy? I grew up on the Farmall version of that.

Nope, not a Lowboy. My brother has a Lowboy with wide turf tires that he uses to mow about 5-6 acres. Mine is the standard version. Have had it since about 1980. Sickle bar, grader/plow and the under mount bush hog. It has done a lot of work for me. :hmm3grin2orange:

I See your location. have you ever gone to the hay &firewood auction in ship? FS

Not since the new ownership took over about 10 years ago. It used to be a full service machine and fab shop that I used quite a bit when in the excavating business. I think its still run by Mennonite folks. Didn't even know they had a firewood auction...:msp_confused:

firewood and hay auction tues &sat. @noon. they have an allpurpose store there that sells almost anything.its like a mennoite TSC. Thats where i get my chainsaw supplies. i remember the fab shop. FS.

Im lookin on for a kubota l4600 this year, 46hp with a 2200 pound lift on the loader, she would be fun!

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Ha the pics are awesom. Very impressive actually. Betting it would be a different story here in the hills though. And...its the downhills that would scare me!

Those little cubs are tough and capeable units.Pulling isn't going to much of a problem with a reasonable load.Slowing or stoping on a steeper down hill could get dicey!

Thats not a tractor by any means- As long as you stay on flat ground - you should be OK.

In our area- we wouldnt last a day pulling logs or firewood like that- be careful :)

My little tractor works just fine. 3 loads = 1 cord. Smaller loads gives my old creaky body a chance to rest while I drive from the splitting yard to the stack, about 5 min.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had a JD 212, it was a nice tractor. I bought a JD 265 a couple years ago and it's a much better tractor for mowing, but no better for towing. My Dad's next door neighbor sold his big estate and gave me his old Ford 640. He bought the ford back in the 70's and over the years kept getting brand new bigger tractors, but never got rid of the old Ford. We let him keep it in our barn till he got his house and garage built, and I used to do the maintenance on it. Real nice guy, he really liked my Dad. Gave me about 3 pickup loads of equipment before he moved, Joe.
DSCN0426_zps6946dbca.jpg

001-31.jpg

Here be some winter pics of the little beast (before the winch was added)...

169367d1295743986-wh1-jpg

169365d1295743981-wh2-jpg

169366d1295743983-wh3-jpg

Looks like a sears custom 10. Take care of that tecumseh hh100 parts are getting very hard to find for them. I use to have a ss12 That had the hh120 the hh100's bigger brother. Throttle shaft play is always a big issue with those engines. Plus if it is solid state hope the ign never goes out a cd pack costs about 250-300 dollars if you can find one.

You pegged it... 1968 Sears Custom 10.
Yeah, solid state ignition sticker on the engine housing, and I've wondered about it... but so-far-so-good.
That splitter is carrying an HH70... those two Tecumseh engines have been real work horses.
The tractor has a starter/generator and always starts, even in sub-zero temps (but I am using a big battery). When temps drop into the single digits or below I have to pull the plug on the splitter a dribble a bit of fuel in the cylinder... then she pops on first pull.
I know what you mean about the throttle shaft play... at one time there was a bushing kit for repairing it, and I did it several years ago. If the next time ever comes I'll have to make my own bushings.

Hey... if it works, stay with it. :)

The lawn buggy tractors are great for flatland use. Outfit with chains or Ag tires and wheel weights and they'll surprise ya. You'll need chains for traction on ice. :D

I wouldn't take one up in the mountains to haul firewood out. They're not designed for that kinda work anyway. I remember the time we took an old CJ Jeep up in the mountains to haul logs, Man that was a day's work.

Been cutting with an old Murray widebody GT my brother gave me. He got it running and I finished it with Ag tires and weights. Just recently, I hauled about 4 cord of rounds out of this very muddy, pigged up woodlot. She dug in and pulled that loaded cart outta there. I haven't gotten it stuck yet. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hey... if it works, stay with it. :)

The lawn buggy tractors are great for flatland use. Outfit with chains or Ag tires and wheel weights and they'll surprise ya. You'll need chains for traction on ice. :D

I wouldn't take one up in the mountains to haul firewood out. They're not designed for that kinda work anyway. I remember the time we took an old CJ Jeep up in the mountains to haul logs, Man that was a day's work.

Been cutting with an old Murray widebody GT my brother gave me. He got it running and I finished it with Ag tires and weights. Just recently, I hauled about 4 cord of rounds out of this very muddy, pigged up woodlot. She dug in and pulled that loaded cart outta there. I haven't gotten it stuck yet. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

i dont think if the tractor has plastic on it, it can be considered "old"
any "newer" or hydrostatic garden tractor cant even compare to an old one with seperate clutch/brakes and cast iron gear drive transmissions

all of the newer junk is just a mower with a hitch lol

Back