do I need a new oil pump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up and the video link, I'll check it out.

Nothing is simple, is it? I'm going to order the parts now and maybe start pulling things apart later today. Will report back with pictures.

Welcome mid-coaster......If I recall correctly when you try to take this pump apart you'll find the worm gear that has to come off is a press fit to the crank shaft.....you will be stopped if you don't have a puller for this. I bought the Husky unit but if I recall you can get it done with a 3/4" pipe coupling which will haffazzed thread onto the worm and you can use the clutch to thread onto the shaft to pull with. You may need some washers as shims. But it can be done on the homemade side.

Here is a vid that shows what you'll need to do it a slightly different way........and probably a better way than I described. But without this you won't get the pump apart..........jus thought I'd mention this....as no one else mentioned it........and it sucks to just get going and fetch up...haaard....!!
Husqvarna 51, 55 Worm Gear Removal.... Make Your Own Puller! - Bing video
Stupid question... Why should the worm gear have to come off? The pump comes off without it. The worm is steel while the pump gear is likely plastic and the primary wear point.

If the pump is relatively cheap it might be good just to replace it. A lot of the Stihls have (expensive) metal pumps that can be disassembled and cleaned.

Stupid question... Why should the worm gear have to come off? The pump comes off without it. The worm is steel while the pump gear is likely plastic and the primary wear point.

If the pump is relatively cheap it might be good just to replace it. A lot of the Stihls have (expensive) metal pumps that can be disassembled and cleaned.
I just bought a new pump at Jack's for $25. But all the various parts together plus tax and shipping added up to nearly $100.

Not a stupid question...you're correct...the pump will come off with out removing the gear. I was just remembering issues I had.....but I was replacing the crank seals and the gear has to be removed for that. Just remember I got stalled at that point.....don't work on 55s very much. Sorry for incomplete info.

I 've got the oil pump out and it's soaking in kerosene now. How do I get the pickup tube out? Or can I clean it in place?
Does the plastic gear on the oil pump that mates with the worm gear on the shaft want a little dab of grease? Or since those are plastic threads maybe grease will weaken the plastic?
Still waiting on those parts...
Here's a couple photos:
oiler-slot.jpgoiler.jpg

Update: parts are on backorder and there's firewood to cut, so I cleaned up the pump and reassembled everything. Ran through most of a tank of gas, chain seems less dry than before. When I refilled the oil it seemed like maybe it was roughly half full (I topped it off before cutting), so that's all reassuring.

Guessing the pump was just dirty...but will keep a close eye on it and it'll be good to have a spare pump handy.

Thanks for help everyone.

Latest posts

Back