Do people seek SHORT, wide trunk segments?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
I am in Portland, Oregon area.

Its easy to give away wood here like Douglas Fir, Pine, or whatever.

There is a location that takes small and huge wood pieces for free - they grind it and the final product is electricity. But this requires hauling.

I am curious about discarding one more type of wood without hauling - that wood be good quality Maple, Ash, Oak, Etc., but larger diameter segments; 1', 2' long and about 30" to 48" diameter.

Is there a category of people that seek, or want that kind of wood for some kind of project?

When we don't want to mess with 12" or 24" stuff, we cut it to firewood length and have the homeowners run a $5 thrifty advertisement for free wood, cut to length.

But on the bigger stuff, we have hauled it, not wanting to risk leaving a pile of heavy material that a homeowner may get stuck with.

Any suggestions?

Mario Vaden
Landscape Designer / Arborist

M.D. Vaden Trees & Landscapes
Beaverton, Oregon

Some slabs of wood like that make good tabletops. Perhaps a local craftman would be willing to take it off your hands. Just a thought.

Sounds like you are blocking down stubs. Back when you could make a few bucks selling firewood in our area, we would also sell one foot lenghts for the “older” folks and people with small wood heaters. Try quartering it up with a chainsaw or maul so it can be handled easier. Other than that it sounds like you will be paying dump fees.

Look for a sign maker, the guys that make them with routers. I do some, and have seen others do the same, using the outside of the trunk. Curved back, flat front.

Originally posted by M.D. Vaden

When we don't want to mess with 12" or 24" stuff, we cut it to firewood length and have the homeowners run a $5 thrifty advertisement for free wood, cut to length.

But on the bigger stuff, we have hauled it, not wanting to risk leaving a pile of heavy material that a homeowner may get stuck with.

This type of activity was discussed in another thread, most felt it wasn't very professional. Kinda like a 'ladder-high tree service'. Hard to get any credit from the public as true professionals when many in the industry leave piles of wood for the customer to deal with. Asking the customer to run an ad to get rid of the wood is something I wouldn't have the cajones to attempt.

Yup, if your gonna cut and stack it for a discount, might as well haul it.

Find someone who does a lot of fire wood who will take the wood as big as you can laod it.

I have a couple guys who say if it is good hardwood, we can drop skidder and even crane chunks in their yard.

Then again you can do like Rog and sell the logs to a mill.

WOOD CHUNK USE

Thanks NETREE and MOWDENVER.

Looks like your suggestions are going to work.

There is a Woodcrafter store here in Beaverton, Oregon that has close ties to craftsman.

Also, I got a line on a machinest / woodworker, who makes everything from guitars to his own carbide guitar frets - even makes the machine that forms the carbide frets. Turns out he needs all shapes, types and sizes of wood.

I found TREECLIMBER 165's comments about customers disposing wood as unique.

Here in Beaverton, there is a large professional / technical class of homeowners - This is home of Nike and Intel (Pentium).

Consumers in this town consider professionalism as providing them with the service that they need.

Many homeowners here like to pay for pruning and complete clean-up and hauling.

Many homeowners like saving $100 to $1000 on a contract if all they have to do is make a few phone calls.

That's why we take so many projects when bidding against the premier tree services in town. Our service looks to take care of customers needs and wants, rather than charge ever customer for what we think they need and what we want them to get.

Again, thanks for those specific suggestions that met the need of another use for wood.

The craftsmen will be happy too !

That's what I mean about taking care of the needs of people. If we live "in a box" - confined way of business, we limit the benefits that can be made available to society.

Thanks for the teamwork. That's why I visit this site.

Your suggestions have led us to give to others. And that has broadened our sphere of influence in the area.

Mario Vaden
Landscape Designer / Arborist

M.D. Vaden Trees & Landscapes
Beaverton, Oregon

Latest posts

Back