Do saws still come from the factory with a little bottle of oil in the box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbeville TSI

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I remember back in the day that pro saws didn't, at least the Husky and Stihl saws didn't. Specifically thinking about Echo handhelds and saws, I've seen unboxing videos where the talker opens the Echo box and takes out a bottle of oil along with the scrench. I have bought 3 Echo saws but never saw them unboxed. Got the OM's and the scrench for two of them, and the third saw dealer wanted to sell the scrench.
I guess I'll have to buy a saw in a box from a big box store to see if they come with oil.

I remember back in the day that pro saws didn't, at least the Husky and Stihl saws didn't. Specifically thinking about Echo handhelds and saws, I've seen unboxing videos where the talker opens the Echo box and takes out a bottle of oil along with the scrench. I have bought 3 Echo saws but never saw them unboxed. Got the OM's and the scrench for two of them, and the third saw dealer wanted to sell the scrench.
I guess I'll have to buy a saw in a box from a big box store to see if they come with oil.
How many wrenches do you need? and the cheeseball comp. oil is short of a gallon of mix....and cheap as well. Just use the best oil, and you already have that anyway.

This thread is like, I bought a Monopoly game for 4 bucks at a yard sale, and the Boot is missing!

The new saw I got with oil in the box was a Husky 346 from a dipstick dealer who said Husky required it. He sent it with the bar and chain attached to the saw, mix oil, and a gallon of bar oil all in the box. I had a oily mess as the bvar but through the gallon of bar oil.

Apparently, a number of STIHL dealers are reluctant to provide the carb tuning screwdrivers with their new saws.

Afraid users will screw them up.

A couple have shown me large tote boxes full of them, and offered me handfuls, when I showed interest.

Philbert

I had to go online to buy mine. Dealers aren't supposed to give/sell them here. Might be a state law or EPA nonsense...?

Apparently, a number of STIHL dealers are reluctant to provide the carb tuning screwdrivers with their new saws.

Afraid users will screw them up.

A couple have shown me large tote boxes full of them, and offered me handfuls, when I showed interest.

Philbert
I don't blame them.. most guys just can't tune a carb properly. More than a few dealers can't as well.

Well, most of the time a Stihl piece of equipment will run fine without you screwing with it .

That applies to replacement carburetors out of the box as well.

Often and who knows why the idle mix will be a little rich.. May be so the transition is cleaner.

But, in general just leave them alone and don't think.. You will be fine.

I don't blame them.. most guys just can't tune a carb properly. More than a few dealers can't as well.
Welp. At my local stihl dealer there is a dude named John who must be in his 70s-80s and is very, very good at his job. I am only 13 as I type this ( 14 in July ) and he has taught me how to start, file, and do a sprocket change on a saw the best way possible. I hope he can teach me a couple more skills before he dies, gets sick, or... retires? Carb tuning is one.

The new saw I got with oil in the box was a Husky 346 from a dipstick dealer who said Husky required it. He sent it with the bar and chain attached to the saw, mix oil, and a gallon of bar oil all in the box. I had a oily mess as the bvar but through the gallon of bar oil.
The joy of this thread is in the clever way woodsman chat. Who isn't laughing at "dipstick" and oil.....

Well, most of the time a Stihl piece of equipment will run fine without you screwing with it .

That applies to replacement carburetors out of the box as well.

Often and who knows why the idle mix will be a little rich.. May be so the transition is cleaner.

But, in general just leave them alone and don't think.. You will be fine.
True but try that on a 090 or BLK. They need a bit of finesse.

The joy of this thread is in the clever way woodsman chat. Who isn't laughing at "dipstick" and oil.....
Ya got me there as I never thought about that. I wanted to use a different term but my routine trips to "banned camp" and never seeing Allyson Hannigan in camp I decided dipstick was better.

True but try that on a 090 or BLK. They need a bit of finesse.

I've never seen an 090. Would like to. There was one on Craigslist here a few years back with a bar as tall as your head. Think he was asking $2500.
I had an 076 Super that was like new that I bought sight unseen from an estate for $200. And, a 2101XP that was like new.
I really had no use for either one other than looking at them. MS660 suits me just fine and I can still handle it, couple more years anyway.

I've never seen an 090. Would like to. There was one on Craigslist here a few years back with a bar as tall as your head. Think he was asking $2500.
I had an 076 Super that was like new that I bought sight unseen from an estate for $200. And, a 2101XP that was like new.
I really had no use for either one other than looking at them. MS660 suits me just fine and I can still handle it, couple more years anyway.
The 090s just sit here mostly. I use 026 to 066 mainly

Bought an Echo trimmer at HomeDepot—got a 2.6oz bottle of Red Armor oil.
Bought an Echo 590 Timberwolf at a servicing dealer—no oil, but somehow I wound up with an extra chain. I'm willing to call that even. :D

I've only bought a couple saws new. The 4 stroke thing did come with a bottle of oil. The 500i came with a bar scabbard and whatever fuel they put in it to start it, and that was it. I was surprised to hear some saws come with screnches.

Latest posts

Back