do trees cross breed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and humans cross breed them all the time. My neighbor has a cottonwood/poplar cross growing in his back yard, commonly called a cottonless cottonwood. It's a mule with the huge leaves of the poplar but the longevity and massiveness of the cottonwood.

Growing like wildfire in only 18 years, it has now reached 60 feet tall with a 50' spread and has a trunk 40" across with enormous buttress roots. It threatens four houses and shows no signs of dying. It's the ugliest tree in the entire neighborhood. I estimate that today it would cost him $5,000 to get rid of it and each year that removal cost goes up by at least $500. :censored:

Yes, and humans cross breed them all the time. My neighbor has a cottonwood/poplar cross growing in his back yard, commonly called a cottonless cottonwood. It's a mule with the huge leaves of the poplar but the longevity and massiveness of the cottonwood.

Growing like wildfire in only 18 years, it has now reached 60 feet tall with a 50' spread and has a trunk 40" across with enormous buttress roots. It threatens four houses and shows no signs of dying. It's the ugliest tree in the entire neighborhood. I estimate that today it would cost him $5,000 to get rid of it and each year that removal cost goes up by at least $500. :censored:

That's breeding within a species...crossing different species is another thing altogether....not as common
leyland cypress is a cross....i'd have to look it up to see the two genii....

some info here....grafting onto a different root stock...etc etc..
http://www.coenosium.com/Cupressus/cupressus.htm

Last edited:
They don't do it much in the wild, but they do change slightly over generations. Humans certainly do it quite often with trees and every other plant it seems.LOL.

That's breeding within a species...crossing different species is another thing altogether....not as common
leyland cypress is a cross....i'd have to look it up to see the two genii....

some info here....grafting onto a different root stock...etc etc..
http://www.coenosium.com/Cupressus/cupressus.htm
Wait a minute. Are you saying that the cottonwood tree and the poplar are the same species? That's hard to believe. The two trees are as different as oak and maple. Around here a poplar tree scarcely lives 20 years and has huge leaves; the cottonwood has small leaves and can live over 100 years.

About the only thing they have incommon is that both are fast growing. :confused:

when i was young, we had some guy next door who would always graft fruit trees in his back yard. the guy was phenominal...he'd graft several varieties onto one tree.

but.....i can't see how a tree could possibly "cross breed" with another tree. they either spread by a root system or by seeds. roots don't "mate" and neither do seeds. if there is such a tree, then it had to have been grafted yearss ago by man.

when i was young, we had some guy next door who would always graft fruit trees in his back yard. the guy was phenominal...he'd graft several varieties onto one tree.

but.....i can't see how a tree could possibly "cross breed" with another tree. they either spread by a root system or by seeds. roots don't "mate" and neither do seeds. if there is such a tree, then it had to have been grafted yearss ago by man.

All seeds from trees are produced from flowers like any other plant. Although the flowers don't always look like the posies you find in the garden. Birch catkins are an example.
At any rate, tree 'flowers' are pollinated by other trees and the fertilized flowers become the seeds so, yes, you can get crossbreeds within a species. And yes, some species of trees have male and female trees and some trees are self pollinating.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that the cottonwood tree and the poplar are the same species? That's hard to believe. The two trees are as different as oak and maple. Around here a poplar tree scarcely lives 20 years and has huge leaves; the cottonwood has small leaves and can live over 100 years.

About the only thing they have incommon is that both are fast growing. :confused:

You are confusing liriodendron genus with populus

The former is called tulip tree out west, and yellow poplar in the east. It's a misnomer, but common among popular (pun intended?!) or common tree names

Populus genus includes black, eastern, and plains cottonwood, white or silver poplar, bolleana poplar, Lombardy poplar, to name a few.

Black cottonwood leaves can be every bit as large or even larger than tulip poplar leaves.

Also, in their native range, centered in Va and the Carolinas, tulip (yellow) poplar have historically attained 220 feet heights and over 10 feet dbh. Introduced to the PNW, they thrive here. Our largest are approaching 7 feet dbh and 145 feet tall...and growing an inch a year in dbh!!

Last edited:
does all oak fall into either the white or red catagorie or are there others?

Arthur Lee Jacobsen, in his stellar "North american Landscape Trees" says that there are 500-600 subspecies of oak!!! So, surely there's well over 100 species...

Chesnut, willow, live, valley, Oregon white, black, scrub, bur, cork, pin, scarlet, red, English...are some of the most common.....

You are confusing liriodendron genus with populus.

The former is called tulip tree out west, and yellow poplar in the east. It's a misnomer, but common among popular (pun intended?!) or common tree names

Populus genus includes black, eastern, and plains cottonwood, white or silver poplar, bolleana poplar, Lombardy poplar, to name a few.

Black cottonwood leaves can be every bit as large or even larger than tulip poplar leaves.

Also, in their native range, centered in Va and the Carolinas, tulip (yellow) poplar have historically attained 220 feet heights and over 10 feet dbh. Introduced to the PNW, they thrive here. Our largest are approaching 7 feet dbh and 145 feet tall...and growing an inch a year in dbh!!

So, you are saying that the plains cottonwood with small leaves, long life, potentially mammoth size, and drops cotton-floating seeds is the same tree as the beast growing in my neighbor's yard--a mule that has huge leaves, drops no cotton seeds, has small branches that look like they are covered with warts, and vitually no shape to the crown?

I'm still confused. What on earth is my neighbor's mutant tree? :confused:

does all oak fall into either the white or red catagorie or are there others?

Oaks in scores and scores of different varieties can be found all over the world. One of the most diverse tree species anywhere. You woudn't recognize most as oaks. Some have big leaves, some small. All have acorns.

So, you are saying that the plains cottonwood with small leaves, long life, potentially mammoth size, and drops cotton-floating seeds is the same tree as the beast growing in my neighbor's yard--a mule that has huge leaves, drops no cotton seeds, has small branches that look like they are covered with warts, and vitually no shape to the crown?

I'm still confused. What on earth is my neighbor's mutant tree? :confused:

i thought the poplars that spew that white stuff all over are female trees wheil the male poplars don't do that........????

I cut some Eucalyptus that were surrounding by California live oak. Some of the eucalyptus trees had an oak like trunk and coloring. When I cut them up they looked like eucalyptus ? The owner of the property thought the oaks and the eucalyptus trees were cross breeding ?:monkey:

There are many documented cases of oaks naturally hybridizing.
last winter cut what appeared to be a red oak. no expert here but thought I could tell the difference without leaves to look at. turned out to be white oak.now that I started looking seen several more with red oak appearing bark and white oak leaves. this was the reason for my question.

Back