Do we need to have a Georgia GTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might could host one in the fall. I have 5 acres and a couple big oaks that need to come down that could be used for fun. The wife would be more than happy to play hostess and a couple butts on the big green egg could feed a small army.
Now we are talking. BBQ is a must for our mini GTG's.

I have a Bobcat 873 that will handle logs with no issues. Also a Ford 4000 diesel with a loader on it that I have forks for. I have trailers that will carry logs. Problem right now is I don't have any large logs other than a few pieces of pecan that I have a buyer for. (probably)
Having never been to a gt, I don't know that it would be a good idea to host one. We have a pretty central location as were about 60 miles straight south of downtown Atlanta. That makes it equidistant to Columbus and Macon. ie, if you make a triangle on a map between Atlanta, Macon and Columbus, we're in the center of that triangle in the middle of nowhere.

Herman, you have the best geographic location. You might even drag some of the panhandle FL boys up. Being bw Macon and The ATL makes it much easier for me (up and back the same day). North Ga makes it a two day adventure.

Still kicking ideas around, we have access to an aircraft hangar about a mile from our house with a lot more maneuvering room. In the event of rain, the Hydroswing door could open and provide a large patio area so we could potentially still cut and stay dry. There is a sailplane operation there so maybe if it was there and someone wanted to purchase glider rides for the non sawyers that could be an option. Everything I write concerning this is sorta thinking out loud and unofficial. I do sense that there is enough interest in the Georgia area to have a gtg. We just all need to brainstorm to come up with a good solution. And I suppose there could even be gtg in more than one location. I'm still traveling back to USA and have only gotten as far as Bogota, Colombia. Be leaving about 01:00 for Dallas and hope to arrive in Atlanta sometime early tomorrow pm. Sounds like the wx will be a bit rough but we'll see.

If you've not been to one, two words: "do it." You'll be amazed at the diversity of people with shared interests that will be new old friends.

I'll see if I can come across some stuff to cut. That would be the largest issue. If it doesn't happen until after summer, I can probably come up with something. I bid a dead tree today but it was a small thorn tree.

Ok, I'm thinking we can do this. I don't have much to cut yet but I'll see what I can come up with. We'll plan on sometime in early Sept I'm thinking. That shouldn't cut into hunting season too much. If you're a Georgia saw enthusiast (or close to there) send me a pm with an email address in it and I'll put together a list and we'll go from there. I'm sorta wearing a blindfold on this but let's do it. I'm in zip code 30206 if someone wants a location. I realize we won't be able to select a date that will work for everyone but gotta start somewhere.

Ok, I'm thinking we can do this. I don't have much to cut yet but I'll see what I can come up with. We'll plan on sometime in early Sept I'm thinking. That shouldn't cut into hunting season too much. If you're a Georgia saw enthusiast (or close to there) send me a pm with an email address in it and I'll put together a list and we'll go from there. I'm sorta wearing a blindfold on this but let's do it. I'm in zip code 30206 if someone wants a location. I realize we won't be able to select a date that will work for everyone but gotta start somewhere.

Well, I'm in

I might could host one in the fall. I have 5 acres and a couple big oaks that need to come down that could be used for fun. The wife would be more than happy to play hostess and a couple butts on the big green egg could feed a small army.

I'd be in on yours as well if you still want to host one.

I have a Bobcat 873 that will handle logs with no issues. Also a Ford 4000 diesel with a loader on it that I have forks for. I have trailers that will carry logs. Problem right now is I don't have any large logs other than a few pieces of pecan that I have a buyer for. (probably)
Having never been to a gt, I don't know that it would be a good idea to host one. We have a pretty central location as were about 60 miles straight south of downtown Atlanta. That makes it equidistant to Columbus and Macon. ie, if you make a triangle on a map between Atlanta, Macon and Columbus, we're in the center of that triangle in the middle of nowhere.

Barnesville?

Edit;

Hello Neighbor,

I live near Carrollton; 30116.

I'm in if I'm home.

I'm guessing we don't want an Oak that was cut 2-3 seasons ago.... It's sizable

I'm in Pike County. Not in Barnesville as that is in Lamar County. (Barnesville is about 30 minutes from my place.
If you look at a Georgia map, I'm near Zebulon where GA highway 18 and GA highway 19 intersect. I'm five minutes from that intersection.
I'm keeping an eye out for some challenging wood to cut into logs. I'll likely encounter something in the next few months.
If someone wants cants to cut for racing, I suppose those could be milled the day of (milling practice). I have an Alaskan mill. (will do about 2' stuff I think)

I'd be in if I'm not working. I'm only 30 min west of Barnesville. I could probably get some bigger pieces of wood by then if needed, I've got 15ish ft of 30-36" oak but just hauled the track hoe off so no way to load it at the moment. Its still standing but on the other side of a fence so a grapple or something with a thumb would be needed to get it.

I have interest in attending. It's hard to get away from work and the farm, but would love to meet, greet and share.

Back