Do you burn pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pine is my bonfire wood. I love the smell and am usually bonfiring for ambiance as opposed to max heat output :popcorn:

Pine is my bonfire wood. I love the smell and am usually bonfiring for ambiance as opposed to max heat output :popcorn:

yep it really does make great campfires ..ideal i n a fire pit when you dont need long burns and it throws off a good campy smell with bright flames for everyone to enjoy

Hail to the State Tree

you omahans are all the same. just a little spoiled.:) hell, it didnt even snow there this week.

pine is great firewood, I just dont use it overnight:givebeer:
Yeah, I am spoiled. I substitute cottonwood for pine. If I had no cottonwood, I wood probably burn pine instead and put up with it. However, there are so many cottonwood trees here that I doubt I will ever run out. They multiply like rabbits and are disease free. :chainsaw:

Yeah, I am spoiled. I substitute cottonwood for pine. If I had no cottonwood, I wood probably burn pine instead and put up with it. However, there are so many cottonwood trees here that I doubt I will ever run out. They multiply like rabbits and are disease free. :chainsaw:

You prefer cottonwood to pine? :dizzy::dizzy:

What is it, other than it's availability that you prefer?

For me, I'd just about as soon to burn news paper as cottonwood. But I'll still burn it. :cheers:

Andy

haha, i hear ya, i grew up on the platte near kearney and we burnt so much cottonwood, now Im in western ne and am surrounded by pine.:dizzy:

This post is cracking me up!!!

For me pine is doing me fine. Yes, I try and get harder wood to burn at night. you have to burn what is available and cheap:buttkick:

You posted this 2 years ago and you would be picked on!

Last edited:
I prefer Locust to any, but typically oak and maple are the go to woods around here. Many of the old timers use the Pine will burn it down mantra. I figure if it is dry, it can go up in flames. My neighbor had a willow tree in the creek bed fall down, I cut it up last fall, it sat all winter, and summer. It now makes a good fire starter as it is pretty much like paper.

If a Pine tree was available it would go in the stove. Might start doing the wood dump diving.

Although it is funny, the same people who say never burn pine are the same ones who start their fires with their woodshop scraps???? made no sense to me:deadhorse:

And what will you guys do when all the hardwood has gone??

:deadhorse: Just burn what you can get, but season it well and everything will be just fine!!

I really like pitchy pine, knots, stumps old limbs. Lots of btu's in that old stuff and you can light it with a match. Burn it hot enough and it burns fairly clean.

And what will you guys do when all the hardwood has gone??

:deadhorse: Just burn what you can get, but season it well and everything will be just fine!!

I guess to some people pine is good for starting only. For me it the easy to get.

I am not proud, living in the high desert, I will burn what ever I can get my hands on also:bowdown:

As usual in these "pine" threads, the naysayers:

1. All live in the midst of hardwoods.
2. Have never burned pine in their lives.
3. Have never known anyone who did.
4. Have never known of a house burned down because of it.

and last.

5. Lacking any knowledge of the subject repeat old wives tales.

Harry K

Burn Pine?

YUP! I burned 6 cords to heat my house last winter. About 3/4 of that was all pine. The rest was cottonwood and just a little bit was hardwood. How did it work? Great! I'd load in the morning and then again when I get home from work. On the coldest days I'd load one more at night too. Cleaning out the chimney for this season I ended up with just a bit more than a coffee can worth of soot.

Anybody else ever collect pine knots? When I was a kid Dad and I in the woods would find downed pine trees, everything would rot away but the knots. Holy cow, those things would burn.

Jack

well incidently i sell a lot of pine both pinion and doug fir. the doug fir isnt to bad on creosote.but then again i was told that it comes form the pitch embeded in the wood. pinion on the other hand depending on the round could have an extra pound of pitch.that being said nobody around here has ever caught on fire because of burning pine.BUT when you do burn it make sure it burns hot or creosote will build up.they told me to have yur air vents all the way open.

I use pine cones and pine twigs to start the fire. But I wouldn't soley burn pine...someone here posted a picture of their flu after burning Pine for 3 months...I think after you see that....your arm would shake as you placed the pine in your stove or fireplace. LOL

Yes it is fine to burn, just like any other wood must be seasones. It does burn a bit quicker than hardwood

I'm burning Pine right now. Well, I guess it's a mix, 2 peices of Pine and 1 piece of Doug Fir. I have to put a piece or 2 in every 3 or 4 hours unless I shut it down. 22 degrees outside, 74 degrees inside. I can't see a problem with Pine myself, especially when I look at the price of propane.

Andy
When I burn ponderosa I like to mix in some doug fir as you did. That works better than burning 100% ponderosa. But not as well as 100% doug fir. :)

Pondersoa is the predominant species here, and a lot of it dies due to beetles. I hate to see it go to waste so I burn some even though it is not my favorite firewood.

Latest posts

Back