Do you cart your splitter around with you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieWoodHooka

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, looking to sell some firewood on a low scale next year, have been cutting a few loads this year and a few for people.

With some hope I would have completed my trailer (9x5 dumper with highish sides and hungry boards) and well on the way to owning a new splitter and saw.

I don't plan on getting rich just some extra coin thru winter,

Anyhow does anyone have any ideas to make a log splitter mount to a trailer or anything, I want to basically take it with me, cut split and load and then drop off, I'm not very keen on leaving the splitter in the scrub, autho It wouldn't go missing, I have thought of adding a hitch on the trailer but that seems like the wrong thing to do,

has anyone got an idea like a splitter on a hitch hauler or on the trailer draw bar?
If so I would love to see it!

Just a simple angle iron bracket will pull most common splitters. I pulled mine many miles. I have done it exactly like you're describing and with much success.

I think the biggest problem pulling it like a b double is I would only have to unhook it when I get the the customers house , unload then reload the splitter

If I had a setup where it sat across the drawbar towards the front of the trailer I could use it in both horizontal and vertical positions, biggest problem is most have the hydraulic tank built into the axle area.

Thanks guys

Farm show paper wwwfarmshow.com I think in Lakeville MN USA has had several pics of this type of splitter/trailer. Not sure if the back issues are on the web or not.

Some had it long ways along the right front side, some across the front. I have thought of long ways at front right, but pivot at the front so it swings out perpendicular for splitting.

This may be more than you want to bite off, but they had several on old manure spreaders. The older, still very heavy duty subframe, spreaders go fairly cheap here. Too big for hobby farm, too small for real farms. They take out the beaters, add a door that swings upwards (some spreaders had them already) at the very back, and power the apron chain by the same hydraulic package that runs the splitter. Split, toss into the spreader at the front. When pile gets high, advance the apron to the rear and go back to splitting. go somewhere and unload usiing the apron. By picking the slowest speeds, people at the back might keep up stacking off the back. Easier to control than a dump truck, but slower. Most of the spreaders in the articles have 20 inch highway truck tires and timken bearings, so can go full road speed. However they have NO brakes usually.

There is the rig in the UK based on a LandRover pickup with the splitter at front left, just behind drivers door. Been posted here before. Beautiful machine, but high $$ and I could not take such a nice rig where it will get dented and banged up.

I prefer to split in the woods because I don't have space to store up rounds at home. It is however, a LOT slower than just cut rounds and load in the trailer and go.

Last edited:
I don't know what the highway laws are "down under", but, if you had a trailer mounted splitter, you COULD
tow it behind the wood trailer. We used to do that here. Because our state insists that we put a plate on
the splitter, we now leave it home. Truck and trailer plates are expensive enough. I pay commercial rates
on my F-350 flatbed, even though it my personal vehicle and "not for hire".

Best of luck on your firewood endeavor.

There's some fare points there, I live on a small island that's based around farming, autho as soon as something looks like it might be of some use it's snaveled up quick smart buy other tight arse farmers,

I'm happy and rather keen to spend the money and build my own trailer the way I want it
Even thinking about things like using the splitter engine to run the tipper rams, I could probably get away with using a tipper power pack on a splitter for the amount I would use one at the moment,

It's hard to get my idea but the trailer will be setup on a 11x5.5 ft base and then the 9" long tipper body toward the back with a full size tool box on the front to house the power packs and saws,

The vehicle mounted idea sounds great but a big ute in Australia is a landcruiser and once you mention f series or larger they are regarded as fuel guzzling cock extensions. Lol

So we are kind of limited in our tray space, the biggest on a single cab ute is typically 8x6 and then your squashed up like a wallaby dog trying to root a tennis ball

That's where my trailer idea come from, have a trailer to hold a big load and then a nice legal weight over the back axle

Keep the comments coming otherwise it's all going to be regarded before I put it together!

Thanks casey

If you go with the manure spreader idea, you shouldprobably consider a log lift in there somewhere. Splitter would have to be mounted pretty high to drop right into the bed or low enough that you have to hand toss everything in.

I knock out the rounds at home when I have the time....makes it feel a lot less like a job when you can do it when you feel like it.

Last edited:
I would love to cut rounds and split at home but unfortunately one Neighbor is the local church and the other is a paddock full of horses, either one won't want a screaming 66 on a Sunday morning, that and I rent and the landlord probably won't love it so much .

I will end up doing that someday, load a truck full of logs with the backhoe and process them at home, till then it's just a pipe dream :(

I like that a lot. Cool design, especially as you can swing it around. Seems like it would need another axle in the front though for the weight of the splitter. That appears to be a lot o tongue weight.

It's not mine, someone posted this when i was looking to do the same thing. I ended up welding a reciever tube to my 3-point hitch mounted splitter. It's nice to throw the splits from the splitter right into the trailer.

I would love to cut rounds and split at home but unfortunately one Neighbor is the local church and the other is a paddock full of horses, either one won't want a screaming 66 on a Sunday morning, that and I rent and the landlord probably won't love it so much .

I will end up doing that someday, load a truck full of logs with the backhoe and process them at home, till then it's just a pipe dream :(

So will you only be selling green firewood? Even standing dead needs some time to properly season. Not much money in that...at least here in the U.S. anyway. Most of the people that buy firewood have trouble understanding the term seasoned. They think they can buy it today and there is no reason to think it cant be burned tomorrow. Unfortunately in this case, the lawyers are right, in that the producer must assume that the end user is a complete moron so the product must be designed accordingly.

I don't mean to rain on your parade...just thinking out loud at the potential hurdles that wil make the endeavor more work than it's worth for you.

I would love to cut rounds and split at home but unfortunately one Neighbor is the local church and the other is a paddock full of horses, either one won't want a screaming 66 on a Sunday morning, that and I rent and the landlord probably won't love it so much

How about an electric motor on the splitter? 2 to 5 hp range? quiet, but would it work for you? or do you have your equivalent of our 220 vac available?

Back