Do you cut wood right behind your house? I'm jealous!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish o could just burn my debris. Nope, gotta chip it. Lots of good oak and mahogany get chipped because there's no real need for firewood.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

I never have to go hunting. When my freezer is low, all I need do is step out the door and decide which one I want next. I usually wait for one to make the mistake of eating my roses and then shoot it though. Justifiable venicide! :D My last kill the deer was no more than 20 feet away from me. She looked up at me n I took her right between the peepers.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk (44mag) revolver with a 9 and 1/2 inch barrel that I have used on multiple occasions to kill things that needed killing. But in order to be proficient, you will need to practice, practice, practice! I used a laser bore sighter to give me an idea where things lined up and adjusted the sights from there. Since this is a right handed world it was set up for a right handed shooter and I'm left handed, left eyed. It took a bit, but now I'm usually no more than an inch off whatever I'm shooting at. If I can see it I can kill it! :D So get some practice in and soon you'll find that not only can you hit the broad side of a barn, you can shoot the bolts off the hinges that hold the barn door on.

BTW, 2 things, do head shots when going for a deer. A quick death means the meat doesn't get contaminated or stressed with adrenaline. The second thing is, age the meat for at least a week to 10 days. To me it is as good if not better than beef.

N definitely talk with your neighbor to see if he would be willing to put off torching the wood pile. Of course bring along a case of beer to help with his decision.

Yeah, I guess I could whack deer in my yard too, as both white tails and muleys show up.................but it has to be during a hunting season and I need a tag. Just like you I suppose????

I used to get log loads delivered when I was working full time, expensive but convenient. The last 2 years I have been taking advantage of my woodlot in back, more work-but nothing beats a day in the woods with the toys. Try to just take standing dead and blow downs, but its pretty thick back there so I have been taking some live ones also.

I am also lucky to be able to cut right behind my house. I do all my work with my ATV. Let's me get in some cutting or retrieving even if I only have an hour or so. I take only standing dead, and am even choosy there, picking the Red Oak for ease of splitting. That's my house tucked in there in the lower right corner, and my shed and stacking areas on the left.
My Aerial.JPG

my woodcutting property is 78 miles from my house. I also process firewood for my disabled brother. that woodlot is 65 miles from my house. 5 miles away would be heaven.

I cut red oak less than a mile from home at a 400 acre gun club that I am a member of. I bring my Skidsteer and dump truck and haul home loads of 10-15 foot logs then dump them in my yard. I have brought home as many as 6 big loads in a day with just me and my wife working together. I really enjoy doing it.

I have a pretty crappy setup. My house sits on 100 acres 60 of which are woodlot.I have 3 wood roads through it.The state snowmobile trail runs through a corner of my property.I solely heat my house with my OWB---never had a heat bill since I built the house.So yeah IMO not having to trailer the sleds or driving any distance to cut wood in kinda crappy........LOL

I guess the thread is not that old - I probably would not heat with wood if I could not cut gather it on my property. I'd likely be doing pellets.

Back