Do you use a Central Boiler in a 2 story house with radiators?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abckidsmom

Reaction score
I fear that we've been sold a useless, $$$$$ water heater. I love the idea, but this just isn't working.

Currently the pump is out on our old oil boiler, so that may be the trouble, but the HVAC guy who came out last night said that the CB just will not work running the water to the upstairs radiators. He said that the water will always run back to the stove and out the top.

Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

I'm very aggravated. And chilly.

Do you have the CB water separate from the boiler water? Are you using a heat exchanger?

See, this is where I think the guy didn't know what he was talking about. When he initially came to give us the quote, he mentioned a heat exchanger, but never did put one in. He said that the CB water would just go right through our boiler.

Forgive my lack of research, but there is a heat exchanger we can use in this situation?

The HVAC guy said the only thing he could think of that would work was to installed central heat and air, go figure.

Either way could work depending on your setup. If your water does in fact back out of your CB unit, you can add a heat exchanger and everything should work fine.

Either way could work depending on your setup. If your water does in fact back out of your CB unit, you can add a heat exchanger and everything should work fine.

a heat exchanger is ideal, but I think you could also use back flow prevention valves. I got my heat exchanger from here http://www.ccallis.com/flatplate_heat_exchangers.htm I used the 1.25" 30 plate and am heating a 3000 sq. ft. house, 36x26 garage, and an 800 sq. ft. apartment above the garage. May sure you use y strainers with the heat exchanger. Your plumber sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing, I'd look for someone else. Ask the CB dealer for a recommendation.

a heat exchanger is ideal, but I think you could also use back flow prevention valves. I got my heat exchanger from here http://www.ccallis.com/flatplate_heat_exchangers.htm I used the 1.25" 30 plate and am heating a 3000 sq. ft. house, 36x26 garage, and an 800 sq. ft. apartment above the garage. May sure you use y strainers with the heat exchanger. Your plumber sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing, I'd look for someone else. Ask the CB dealer for a recommendation.

Shouldn't the CB dealer have installed this thing so that it would actually work in our house? He's not returned calls, so far.

Shouldn't the CB dealer have installed this thing so that it would actually work in our house? He's not returned calls, so far.

The dealer installed this???

Sounds fishy to me, there are a lot of hacks out there that may know a little about plumbing, but not enough to install an efficient system. Get a good plumber (who's familiar with OWB's) in there to look at your system and give you a quote to fix it. Your system will work once properly installed. I know of several OWB's in my area connected to 2 story houses using baseboard heat, and they work fine. It may be the installer did use back flow valves to avoid a heat exchanger and simply didn't bleed all the air out of the system.

Either way I'd call him every day, but also get someone else to at least look through everything and give you a quote to correct it. Don't rely on the installer to get you up and running now, but don't let him off the hook either. Share the name of the dealer/ installer if you don't mind.

The water won't run out the top!!

You have to remember the outgoing and inocoming lines from your boiler are submerged in the tank. The water cannot run out of the lines if air is not allowed to fill the void caused by the water. Think of it as a full siphon hose trying to siphon into itself......the water will stay in the hose even it it is above the bucket/CB.....

I fear that we've been sold a useless, $$$$$ water heater. I love the idea, but this just isn't working.

Currently the pump is out on our old oil boiler, so that may be the trouble, but the HVAC guy who came out last night said that the CB just will not work running the water to the upstairs radiators. He said that the water will always run back to the stove and out the top.

Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

I'm very aggravated. And chilly.

I have both hydronic zones and forced hot water on second floor, it works awesome. Achieved with a 30 plate water-to-water exchanger. If you need more pics let me know.

Last edited:
well, there may be some truth to what the plumber told you. i didnt really get into it with my buddy, but he has a OWB, and forced hot air, except some radiant floor heating upstairs. he had to install a pressure vessel in his basement. like i said, i didnt get into the whole schmeel, but he said some thing about not being able to pump water up, it always finds it own level.....

needs to be a pressurized system to push 2 floors or check valves in the lines.....is it hooked to an oil boiler?.....sounds to me you need to have a lawyer send the CB dealer a letter.....i don't understand why these guys sell these boiler and don't have a clue what there doing...you should have an HVAC license and pass a test before you get a dealership....but that gives me lots of work around here fixin' these guys f^%k ups!!!!...LOL

You said the pump on the old boiler doesn't work? You'll need to fix that if you go with the heat exchanger.

I use a plate exchanger...heating three floors w/ radiant heat. Sounds like the dealer didn't know what he was doing. You'll need a pump for your interior loop as well as btw the stove and the plate exchanger.

Latest posts

Back