Do you use split pieces or whole logs for your own use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've always used split pieces for my own use with a few whole logs thrown in here and there and got to wondering what other guys used? I'm talking about use in a woodstove, not an outdoor boiler. I know that the whole logs (about 4-5 inches wide) generally take longer to dry than splits, and don't ignite as easily; guess that's why I've always gone with splits. Thanks!

both

I heat ONLY with a woodstove.So a save quite a few of those bigguns for allniters.Yea they take quite a while to dry.I have about 2 cord of 10" to 12" white oak thats been drying for 3 yrs.It'll do real fine come winter.

My custom fireplace insert's burn chamber is 12 cubic feet in size.

max size that goes through door is just over 24in x 24in, but that get pretty heavy handling. so for long burns... it's 24in x 10-12in rounds.

don't need to split anything smaller than 10in. really reduces amount of proccessing needed.

100% of my wood this year is deadfall from an EF-0 tornado 4 years ago with 60%-65% of it limb wood that has been kept in rounds at 5" or less with a couple of rounds over 6" that are elm and the rest is split, 75% oak (most of it white oak) 25% other.

I have a very limited space to store wood on my property and even less to store larger unsplit rounds which is limited to the perimeter of my driveway (which is about 20 linear feet) to process and is the big reason why a piece of firewood is handled only once before it goes on the storage rack.

I like round stuff I don't have to split,Just cut it to length :buttkick:
REMORQUESWORKING027.jpg

it only took 35 yrs to get to this conclusion:clap:

small insert here

small insert here and this is my first year - so every thing get's split

wood006.jpg

1/2 way done

wood010.jpg

I use the "palm it" rule, if I can pick up the stick with one hand then I don't split it, if I can't then I do split it.
Saves some aggravation when self loading my armful for the day...
I do save some 14-16" half rounds for longer burning times over night.
Seems to work for me and I heated with only wood this winter.
Ian

I use the "palm it" rule, if I can pick up the stick with one hand then I don't split it, if I can't then I do split it.
Saves some aggravation when self loading my armful for the day...
I do save some 14-16" half rounds for longer burning times over night.
Seems to work for me and I heated with only wood this winter.
Ian

good rule. I use my forearm as the measure. Just measured and it's about 13", which is a 4 1/8" diameter. Should take a pic tomorrow....

I too use that method, if I can't pick it up on the end with one hand, then I split it, makes it easier for the wife to handle.
Tom

I really like that palm it rule, think I'm going to start using it. I split most of what I have. I do keep maybe one bigger round (6-9") for every 10 I split as all nighters/all dayers. I throw the big stuff in when I can't tend to the stove for a while due to sleep or work.

Back