Do you ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, I do, do that. I will first identify the tree and then size it up and think about how I would go about falling it. and wonder what the grain will look like. I have joked with friends of doing midnight felling of monster trees.:)

My middle boy just got his permit so I have way more time to look for millable logs. I find looking for logs much more relaxing then watching where he is going. Today was his first day on the freeway, and we took the windy road back. :dizzy:

I fell them in my head, clean up the mess, haul out the lumber, then decide how to mill it. Actually, mostly I wonder about milling it since I can't see the log well enough to know how I'd cut it up.

I've been known to stop and ask about trees and if the owner would part with them.

Mr. HE:cool:

Last edited:
With apologies to the Eagles!

Well, I'm running down the road
tryin' to lighten my load
I've got seven logs on my mind,
Four that want millin,
Two that want buckin,
One that's not even mine
Take It easy, take it easy
Don't let the sight of these trees
drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
and take it easy
Well, I'm driving past a corner
outback’a Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see
It's a tree, my Lord, at least 5 cord
slowin' down to take a look at me
Come on, baby, don't say maybe
I gotta know if your sweet wood is
gonna save me
We may lose and we may win though
we will never be here again
your comin down right now,
so take it easy
Well I'm running down the road trying to lighten
my load, got a world of trouble on my mind
lookin' for a tree who won't blow my
cover, she's so hard to find
Take it easy, take it easy
don't let the sight of these trees make you crazy
come on baby, don't say maybe
gonna save me, oh oh oh
Oh we got it easy
We oughta take it easy

Last edited:
Common case of L.A.D.( Log Acquisition Disorder )

Log-: a usually bulky piece or length of a cut or fallen tree; especially : a length of a tree trunk ready for sawing and over six feet (1.8 meters) long

Acquisition-: to get as one's own: a : to come into possession or control of often by unspecified means

Disorder-An ailment that affects the function of mind or body: To disturb the normal physical or mental health of; derange.
This is a prime example of how the D in L.A.D. will show itself. Now that is a true hit, a true Lumbermaker's Lullaby. I may have to convince the guys in the band and get them to help me do a cover of this one to put up on youtube for ya BobL. :rockn::rockn::rockn:LOL!!!

Well, I'm running down the road
tryin' to lighten my load
I've got seven logs on my mind,
Four that want millin,
Two that want buckin,
One that's not even mine
Take It easy, take it easy
Don't let the sight of these trees
drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
and take it easy
Well, I'm driving past a corner
outback’a Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see
It's a tree, my Lord, at least 5 cord
slowin' down to take a look at me
Come on, baby, don't say maybe
gonna save me
We may lose and we may win though
we will never be here again
your comin down right now,
so take it easy
Well I'm running down the road trying to lighten
my load, got a world of trouble on my mind
lookin' for a tree who won't blow my
cover, she's so hard to find
Take it easy, take it easy
don't let the sight of these trees make you crazy
come on baby, don't say maybe
gonna save me, oh oh oh
Oh we got it easy
We oughta take it easy

Now that's a classic. Ya gotta love it

I cannot believe you guys have no wood to saw!!!--Get out and make some sawdust and quit drooling!

This is what I did today---

attachment.php

Out driving around--found it lying beside the road--couldn't resist--just wacked 'er up--drug 'er home--the rest is history.

Well I'm glad other people suffer from L.A.D. It get worrings sometimes, when I'm out for a walk and i'm checking out the trees like there hot chicks, he he.

This oak log was still smoking when I found it. Some stupid council arborists had tried to burn it. going to make a nice coffee table out of it. T

Bob you inspired me to bust out my old Les Paul Gituar and play it our way. (bunch of sick folks we are) hehehe:rock::rockn::ices_rofl::jawdrop:

Beaveradict :givebeer::rock:

Well, I finally figured out that log was a eucalyptus. The rough bark threw me off - most of them around here are smooth. <shrug> Guess I got a lotta learnin' left.

And yeah, I've got an inventory going of the logs/rounds sitting alongside the road various places. Isn't there like a reverse five-second-rule...wait 30 days and it's free for the taking? :jester:

Sure do...

I've been reading the replies and thought I would take some pics from the street the GF and I walk the dog on each evening. I skipped the oaks and some of the softwoods and focused on the more sought after species. There's a lot of big old hardwoods on these old town streets and yards.

Back