does 2-stroke oil quality matter. stihl hp ultra vs. dolmar synthetic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan454

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
bought 6 pack of stihl hp ultra oil today for my Dolmar 5105. read the oil label and it says it is JASO FB and API TC/TC+ Ceritifications. the Dolmar meets or exceeds JASO FD and ISO EGD. My manual says if not using Dolmar oil to use synthetic with a quality rating of JASO FC or ISO EGD or better. did i make a mistake by buying the stihl oil for my saw? already opened and mixed 1 bottle so i cant return it now.. ive heard great things about the stihl oil, thats why i bought it.

It's not clear whether the "FB" rating is actually its full potential or only the extent to which Stihl paid to have it certified.

I was told also by a stihl employee that they had some memo circulating from their head of technical staff in the US claiming that the tests were only of limited relevancy because they were for motorcycles and not chainsaws.

The ultra is a premium product that has been tested extensively both by users and by stihl. I don't care for its smell but I will say it seems to be very good oil, and if it wasn't, we all would have heard about it by now.

Last edited:
The real question should be has anyone seen *real* proof that one brand is better than the other. I'm talking real proof that X brand gets more life out of a given saw engine than the others. My money would say use any decent brand and you'd be fine.

bought 6 pack of stihl hp ultra oil today for my Dolmar 5105. read the oil label and it says it is JASO FB and API TC/TC+ Ceritifications. the Dolmar meets or exceeds JASO FD and ISO EGD. My manual says if not using Dolmar oil to use synthetic with a quality rating of JASO FC or ISO EGD or better. did i make a mistake by buying the stihl oil for my saw? already opened and mixed 1 bottle so i cant return it now.. ive heard great things about the stihl oil, thats why i bought it.

No you did not!
It is great oil.
Run it and know that it is better than what your engine actually NEEDS!!!

Mike

API TC rating is out-of-date and meaningless. The API doesn't test anymore.

JASO FA, FB, FC, etc. are as much about smoke as they are about physical lubricating properties.

Yep.... Buy name brand stuff and you'll be fine...not Ace hardware but brands like Stihl, Husky, Dolmar...ect I think even the Poulan brand wouldn't blow you **** up..Just don't use an outboard oil.... or other oil made for a non air cooled motor,,,

Actually, if you look at the back of a Klotz bottle, it shys away from reccomending ratios. Kart racers and competitive RC guys mix with it as heavy as (a carefully measured) 15:1.

I think Klotz expects consumers to make their own decisions and learn from each other...as well as learn from their mistakes. Snelling shared what he'd learned.

I tried the stuff at 38:1 and had no problems, but didn't like the $10/quart price and the inconvenience of only one store in my area that carries it. I does have an interesting aroma, though..

Afterthought...why 38:1? I have a heavy glass beaker marked in 100ml increments. 100 ml/gallon comes in at 38:1.

I would run either oil in the OP. Right now I like Optimol synthetic 50:1 because they have offered to double engine warranties with its use but mostly because I can use a 50:1 mix for all my two cycle engines and keep my fuel fresher as a result. I try to use stabilizer as well and the best synthetics include stabilizer. My question is do other synthetics allow you to use one mix ratio for more than one tool?

I use amsoil interceptor 2cyl oil, but only after i break a saw in with some regular. As for stihl or dolmar, either one, whichever is more convenient and cheaper for you. I tend to think though that if you stick with a certain oil for the life of the saw you may get better results due to consistency, like if you use synthetic stick with it don't flip flop back and forth. just my 2 cents

I get Stihl Ultra from my Stihl dealer. The mechanic there is very knowledegable and he was worked on hundreds of chainsaws. I put alot of weight in what he says and I haven't been done wrong yet. Advice on the Internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. :alien2: Name brand oil mixed at the proper ratio won't cause you any problems.

If you buy larger jugs of 2 stroke oil, the Ratio-Rite measuring cups are awesome. Highly recommended.

Wow Ramrod, you're giving everyone the impression that you work on saws 5 days a week for a living. oh wait...

Back