Does a fireplace insert need a pipe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassafras

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I put the insert in this fall, and after many questioning conversations with other folks I decided not to put a liner in the existing masonry chimney. The stove burns well, has excellent draw, and heats well. Now that its in and I have been burning for a month or so a few more opinions suggest I should pipe from my stove to the top of the chimney. Or at least up past the smoke chamber in the existing masonry chimney. I am looking for good solid pros and cons on either side of the fence. Thanks for your help. Anyone need help getting trees down in the Upstate of South Carolina or the bordering areas of North Carolina, I am for hire.

I don't trust my 100 year old unlined rock & brick chimney so I ran a pipe in mine. Didn't help my confidence any that before we bought the place the other chimney had a flue fire and burned part of the wall...

Did the same thing in the 1876 farmhouse we used to have - the pipe not the fire.

My 2 cents

I have a wood insert w/ a SS liner in my chimney. Our house is 90 yrs. old and the chimney is tall,and the inside diameter is big ,alot bigger than the 8" liner I bought. I like mine, when i clean my liner a cup, cup and a half, is all I get. I have a Lopi Revere 20 some yrs. old and IMHO don't think it would keep my flue hot enough not to cause problems. Plus when I talked to my insurance man it was a requirement to have the SS liner, other than that they didn't care about anything else. The safety and easy cleaning far out weighs the cost IMHO.

Latest posts

Back