does anyone else have dealer issues?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
farrell

farrell

Weekend Warrior
i went to my local husqvarna dealer yesterday to get some if not all the parts i needed to finish my 372xp and my uncles jonsered 2071
so i told the one tech that works there what all i needed bolts, carb, carb boot, bar plate, bucking spikes, and some other odds and ends. so he got on the computer to look things up. after a half hour of him looking on the computer and in the back room he came back out with a few bolts and nothing else. said he would have to order everything else. WTF! they are a dealer, authorized repair center and small engine repair and they dont have nothing in stock! so now i have to wait a week for everything to come in. anyone else have these problems?

Sagetown

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Yup. A dealer of approx 5 years couldn't provide much of anything without ordering it.
On the other hand, I went to an old well established dealer who surprised me with parts that I was sure he'd have to order. I'll be going back to him.:clap:

farrell

farrell

Weekend Warrior
i am going to see another dealer tomorrow and see what they have since they also have their own tree service and fix their own saws.

farrell

farrell

Weekend Warrior
i was really excited about getting the 2071 back together. i wanted to cut with it this weekend and make sure everything was good so my uncle could have his was dead but now reborn jred back!

Roanoker494

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
My preferred local dealer only stocks what he commonly uses but he can get you anything you need by Thursday, as long as you place your order by Tuesday. No extra shipping cost, no hassle and he really appreciates it when I bring my own part numbers with me, I sometimes even check my numbers for superseded numbers for him.

The other dealer likes to focus more on their Stihl line, but they are a life saver with their inventory of old NLA Stihl parts.

Vibes

Vibes

Addicted to ArboristSite
You should have some better dealers up your way. After all, you're more in timber country than down this way. I don't know where your located, but I know there are a couple good J-Red not far off I 79

I hate when this happens. When a counter guy says," I can order it for you" I usually reply, I can order it my self and have it shipped to my doorstep.

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
My closest dealer has very little in stock. But the dealer I usually go to (45 minutes away) has always had everything I asked for, in stock. Find you a good dealer and life will be much easier. :pumpkin2:

mikefunaro

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
There have been discussions on here in the past with input from dealers on some of the reasoning behind what they stock and dont stock.

You cannot expect your dealer to have every part from every saw, that's too much inventory.

If you want to make it easier on them you should come in with part numbers off the IPL, you're not paying the guy to sit at the computer and if it's taking him a long time to sit and sift through the cut sheets they're not going to be any more likely to help you out or do you a favor. Yeah they're getting a little bit of money on the parts but probably not that much.

You can find another dealer who may carry more parts inventory. I think your best bet is a fairly "hands on" high volume dealer that does a lot of repair work but also moves a lot of saws.

You'd maybe have grounds to be more angry if you were a tree service or something, and I know you're excited and want to get the saws finished, but let's be real, a week isnt too long a wait.

KD57

Addicted to ArboristSite
I hate it when I ask for a part, and the guy says he doesn't have it, and asks if I need it now. YES Mr. Idiot, I need it now, otherwise why the hell would I have taken time out to drive all the way over here to get it? This happens usually after I call first to see if it's in stock, and Mr. Idiot says yes. :bang:

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
There have been discussions on here in the past with input from dealers on some of the reasoning behind what they stock and dont stock.

You cannot expect your dealer to have every part from every saw, that's too much inventory.

If you want to make it easier on them you should come in with part numbers off the IPL, you're not paying the guy to sit at the computer and if it's taking him a long time to sit and sift through the cut sheets they're not going to be any more likely to help you out or do you a favor. Yeah they're getting a little bit of money on the parts but probably not that much.

You can find another dealer who may carry more parts inventory. I think your best bet is a fairly "hands on" high volume dealer that does a lot of repair work but also moves a lot of saws.

You'd maybe have grounds to be more angry if you were a tree service or something, and I know you're excited and want to get the saws finished, but let's be real, a week isnt too long a wait.
Great Post, Mike!

CJH1

ArboristSite Lurker
Where are you in PA? I'm in Erie and it seem like it's hit or miss as far as parts go. The last part you would think a dealer would have in stock is usually on the shelf. More common parts are usually out of stock or are special order. I have had pretty good luck with a few local dealers, but some never have what you need.

Jtheo

Jtheo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
My local Stihl dealers, two of them, keep zero parts in stock.

My local Husqvarna dealer keeps very little in stock.

But they are small shops, and I understand why they can not keep a large inventory of parts.

I know the situation, and plan for it. With all I have going on, a week goes by fast anyway.

Having the part numbers off the IPL is a big help to them, and I think they go out of their way to help me.

Both have told me that I am the only customer that comes in with the part numbers, and that saves them a lot of time.

farrell

farrell

Weekend Warrior
the one dealer that sells husky and jred saws had nearly all the bolts i needed. but now it doesnt matter to much cause i got the crankcase and crank in today and it is all seized up the previous owner must have detonated the piston or bearing. have to split the case and replace bearings, seals, gaskets and crank. i just cant win lately!:bang:

Vibes

Vibes

Addicted to ArboristSite
I understand why a dealer doesn't keep a lot of oddball items that don't sell quickly, but it would seem that every customer who walks out the door not buying a common wear item is money out of his or her pocket. I was always under the impression that a dealership contract required a certain amount of inventory on stock at all times. Come on guys! I had a buddy tell me he went to a certain dealer, ( BRAND UNSPECIFIED), and was told he could come back on Monday or Tuesday for a recoil spring for a common homeowner saw. SALE LOST!

I used to work for an electrical supplier. His mark-up for oddball stuff was real high. They had an old style way off keeping track of inventory and what needed ordered. Believe me when a bin was empty and it wasn't brought to the attention of the purchaser, hell was payed!